Crucial m500 480gb - Incredibly long boot - No noticeable speed increase - Macbook Pro 2011

Kilobyte Kid

Crucial m500 480gb - Incredibly long boot - No noticeable speed increase - Macbook Pro 2011

I got my M500 last week and was excited to have my macbook pro breathe new life, but I have been incredibly disappointed so far. I feel like I have exhausted every possible solution so that's why I'm here. This is the timeline of actions I have taken over the past several days.

- Clone existing 7200rpm drive to external using SuperDuper

- Install fresh OSX Mavericks to M500 in external enclosure via usb

- Boot Macbook from external enclosure (took about 3 minutes from startup chime) and copied all files

- Once copied, booted again from external M500 (again took 3-4 minutes from startup chime) and everything is there and functioning properly, although very slow (I assumed this was due to the fact it was running through USB) So...

- Installed the M500 in the hard drive bay and booted while holding option to select the startup disk. From the time I selected the correct disk it took FIVE minutes to finally get the the desktop.

After much frustration I began researching and trying every possibility I could find. I enabled TRIM and rebooted, over 3 minutes again. I ensured the M500 was selected as the startup disk and rebooted... over 3 minutes. I ensured the drive had the correct firmware and it absolutely does. I ran the BlackMagic Disk Speed test and every time I get write speeds around 300MBs and reads around 350MBs.

To make sure it's not my cloned drive that might be slowing it down, I completely wiped the M500 and did a fresh install of OSX Mavericks (which is what I'm typing this on). Once again, the boot time was over 4 minutes and programs open incredibly slow. Chrome bounced 7-8 times and even TextEdit bounced about 5 times.

WHY WHY whyyy is everything so slow if I am getting (what I would assume) are acceptable write/read speeds? Boot times with my old 7200rpm drive were consistently in the 45 - 90 second range. I am running a mid-2011 Macbook Pro 15", 2.2 GHz, 16GB RAM. If I can't find a solution here then this drive is definitely getting returned. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

5 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Crucial m500 480gb - Incredibly long boot - No noticeable speed increase - Macbook Pro 2011

Hello hman7979,

I am sorry that you have been experienced issues with your new M500. From the read and write speeds you are reporting it sounds like your system has SATAII ports. These speeds are perfectly normal for these SATA II ports. Based on the BlackMagic data it appears that everything is normal with the drive. 

Cloning, a fresh install, and copying lots of files can cause some slowness. I would recommend booting to the start options manager and leaving it overnight so garbage collection can do it's job. This will allow the drive to catch it's breath. 

I would also recommend making sure your firmware is up to date, if not update the firmware first. Also make sure the Mac is up to date on everything. If the drive is still slow after Garbage Collection takes place reset the PRAM. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if you are experiencing any other issues. 

Best regards, 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Crucial m500 480gb - Incredibly long boot - No noticeable speed increase - Macbook Pro 2011

Hello, thanks for your response.

I am positive the firmware is up to date. I already ran the firmware updater to be sure.

I double checked the hardware in my computer and the SATA chips are definitely SATA III as shown below..

Screen Shot 2014-02-27 at 4.27.18 PM.png

"I would recommend booting to the start options manager and leaving it overnight so garbage collection can do it's job. This will allow the drive to catch it's breath. "

Can you explain this further? I understand garbage collection has to do with TRIM but thats about all I understand.

Also I have already cleared the PRAM and NVRAM several times and booted from the start manager dozens of times. Still no changes.

Thanks

Community Manager

Hi hman7979, 

Thanks for updating us with these extra steps you have completed. We have a really good article in our TKB that might help explain garbage collection. This article can be found here. Please let me know if you have any other follow up questions. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I followed the instructions on the article you referred to me about garbage collection. I let the Mac sit idle on the startup disk screen for over 8 hours. I also reset the PRAM and VRAM again and there is still absolutely zero signs of perfermance increase. The boot times are still around 3 to 4 minutes and programs still bounce on the dock several times before opening.

I have enough patience to try a few more potential fixes, but if nothing changes then this this drive is definitely being returned and I'm trying a competitor.

Kilobyte Kid

UPDATE:

So, I tried another fresh install of OSX Mavericks, but instead of running the installer from an external drive I copied it to the internal m500 and ran it from there. Once complete, the first boot was timed at about 45 seconds from startup chime to desktop appearing. That was with trim disabled, so I activated Trim Enabler and rebooted. This time, startup took about 30-35 seconds. Much improved, but most people with new SSD's say they get usually boot times of no more than 15 seconds. 

The boot time is not as much of a worry to me any longer, the main problem is applications still open very slowly. Even after this imporved startup time, I opened iTunes and it bounced on the dock 10+ times. Any other ideas?