Do I need Intel rapid storage drivers?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Do I need Intel rapid storage drivers?

I've just bought a Crucial SSD M4 128GB. I used Intel RST on my old SSD (without really knowing what it was for), and I was wondering if it might help for the Crucial one too. My motherboard is the Asus P5QL Pro, and my CPU is an Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600. So which one of these RST downloads do I go for if any?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage%22

8 Replies
Silicon Sultan

Re: Do I need Intel rapid storage drivers?

you don't need it, but you can try and see if you like the performance:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20215&keyword=%22Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+St...

first is english, second is multi language version

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks, can you give the rough potential speedup? Are we talking in the range of 5% or more like 50% extra speed? If it's only 5% speedup I probably won't bother. Reliability is also a big factor here, so is it possible the SSD could be more reliable without the RS drivers?

Silicon Sultan

i tend to use the newest ones, as there are usually bug fixes. you may notice performance increases above the MS driver.

your call.

Kilobyte Kid

Okay I can see this is rather unchartered territory in SSD land. Thanks anyway, I'll install from that link and see how it goes...

Silicon Sultan

not uncharted, it's just results vary from system to system. the ssd removes a bottleneck. after that, you may find your latency is more or less, caching is better, etc, through trying different drivers. 

JEDEC Jedi

Seconded, it's not uncharted.  It's a case of YMMV.  There shouldn't really be any difference. But some people find one or the other faster.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Binary Boss

Agreed. On my Sata-II chipset, I get better performance out of RST 9.6 than anything after it.

JEDEC Jedi

Mine certainly boots faster on 9.6. Not tried benchmarks.  Maybe I should go back to it but I kinda like new versions of stuff lol. On v11.something atm

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?