Event ID 508 ESENT error and BSOD

SOLVED
Binary Boss

Event ID 508 ESENT error and BSOD

My wife's Dell Latitude D531 with a IDE\DiskM4-CT128M4SSD2____070H, was getting random BSODs and Windows Logs showed Event ID 508 ESENT error something like this:

"ESENT Event 508 A Request to write to the file .... bytes succeeded, but took an abnormaly long time."

I reseated the memory and things seemed to improve but the the error still appeared occasionally...no BSODs for several days.  BlueScreenView log indicated hard disk errors.

Finally, I left the computer on all night last night on the BIOS setup for the SSD to "drain" as I was told to do some years ago when the computer processes slowed to a crawl.

Anyway, this morning there are no system errors in the event logs. I have my fingers crossed.

The OS is Windows Vista Business.

Well, there are two Windows event log Applications warnings this afternoon.  Event ID 508 ESENT.  I obviously haven't fixed anything. Every week I use EZ Gig IV and the Apricorn USB adapter that I bought from Crucial with this SSD to clone the drive as a backup using the 80 GB drive that came with the computer.  I put this old drive back in the computer tonight and will post more information after my wife uses the computer for a few days.

Only one Event ID 508 ESENT Application Warning yesterday with the old drive.  I will put the SSD back in today and see what happens.

3 Replies

Re: Event ID 508 ESENT error and BSOD

Hello, Thank you for posting this query. I’ll appreciate if you could provide me details about your computer specifications- both hardware and software. That will be extremely helpful. Reset the Windows Store cache contents as shown below: 1. Press Windows Key + X simultaneously. Select Search option. 2. Type “WSReset.exe” in the Search Box, click Apps icon. 3. WSReset.exe will be displayed in the search results. Right click that, and then click the “Run as administrator” icon at the bottom of the Start Screen. Use the Device Manager to find out conflicts between drivers. Use the Reginout to diagnose the issue. Other steps are outlined below: 1. Press Windows Key + X simultaneously. Select Device Manager. 2. Click the View menu, and check-up the sub menu named “Show hidden devices”. 3. Expand the root level entry, i.e. your computer’s name. 4. Do you see any hardware devices with a yellow color exclamation mark? These are the malfunctioning devices that have to be either updated to the latest versions or uninstalled, as the case may be. 5. To update a device driver, right click the device name and select “Update driver software”. To remove a device driver, right click the device name and select “Uninstall” option. 6. When you’re done, please restart your computer for the changes to take effects. I hope you find this solution very helpful. Thanks & Regards, Alexander Thomas
Binary Boss

The problem is solved, at least for now.  The SSd was formatted in a USB drive enclosure plugged into my desktop and then cloned using EzGig IV with the 80GB drive in the laptop.  No data was lost and it is working fine.

Bit Baby

I had this same problem and it was nor hardware. The Poweliks trojan was found by a rootkit detector and removed. It does not download any files so it gets past most antivirus and malware detectors...it changes some code to fetch ads to your computer in the background and appear to click on them...guess it has to write this stuff to some database files and thats where the ESENT error gets generated. Anyone with this 508 533 error should check for trojans with a really good rootkit detector such as Hitman Pro, Combofix, etc.