Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

SOLVED
SODIMM Sherpa

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

Kilobyte Kid

Well, talk about bad luck!

I did post earlier that I didn't have any problem with the MX100 256Mb of my laptop, and surprise: for the first time since I bought it (more than 6 months ago), I experienced the drive disappearing. It only came back with a full power cycle (shutdown the laptop, then turn on).

So, based on my personal experience:

- I have 2 identical drives bought at 4 months interval

- 1 in the laptop and the other in the desktop

- 1 connected through SATA2 and the other through SATA3

- The laptop one only disappeared after the MU02 update (coincidence probably as I don't use the laptop extensively)

- I was working on the laptop when it disappeared, so no power-saving had occured to put the drive in a low power-state (as a matter of fact I was trying to open gmail when it froze, so disk access was being made and the PC immediatly locked up).

[UPDATE]: I was running on battery when this happened. I usually use it plugged in, so maybe some power saving might be happening?

We can safely assume that this problem is widespread and that the firmware MU02 didn't do anything to fix it.

I for one am not very worried (and I stress heavily about my own hardware when it's malfunctioning), because:

- No data corruption is ocurring

- This problem rarely happens ( 1 time for each drive I own in the last 6 months).

- The reboot is very fast, so not much time lost.

but: If you didn't save your work, it can be frustrating.

So my thoughts right now is to learn to live with it as it is. I had bigger problems due to faulty hardware.

I know that each one of us expect the best from any investment, but sometimes we have to compromise.

I don't know if for you guys this problem happens more often, but in my case I won't bother doing an RMA (from the other comments, it didn't solve anything) because I would have to find a replacement drive in the meantime, havr to reinstall windows, to reinstall windows again when the drive comes back. And this x2 times (laptop and desktop).

Let's hope that in the near future this problem won't get any worse and that in the meantime, a firmware update fix this.

We can't rule-out if it is a faulty hardware design, in this case it will be difficult for them to fix with a new firmware.

I hope that the people from crucial will tackle down this one through thorough testing so it won't happen in future products.

As an IT person, I know for a fact that if you can't reproduce an anomaly in a controlled environment, you won't be able to fix it, and if these failures are not very common, we can be waiting for MONTHS of testing before reproducing the problem, let alone fix it.

Kilobyte Kid

If it's really a problem with the powerstates, maybe a test with disabling these features will show if they're at fault for the BSODs or not:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

You got to set it to "Active" to disable power-saving.

JEDEC Jedi

@hurda7 wrote:

If it's really a problem with the powerstates, maybe a test with disabling these features will show if they're at fault for the BSODs or not:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html

You got to set it to "Active" to disable power-saving.

Good point, I was thinking the same, checking that out may be worthwhile. Maybe the issue shows up during powerstates switching? 

In general when you switch from DC to battery, Windows switches AHCI link power management this way:

"Balanced" (the most common) power profile - HIPM (host initiated power management) on DC power / HIPM on battery

"High performance" - Active on DC power / HIPM on battery

"Power Saver" - HIPM+DIPM on DC power / HIPM+DIPM on battery

I believe it is possible Crucial SSDs are optimzed for DIPM (device initiated power management) but as far as I can see there is no DIPM on "Balanced" and "High performance" profiles and there is switching from Active to HIPM in "High performance" profile. 

Personally I have never had any issues with any of those settings but testing Active and HIPM+DIPM settings may be worthwhile I believe. By the way DIPM should greatly reduce idle power consumption.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Very good advice.

I also found in other forums that one person solved this issue activating the "hot-plug" function in the BIOS for SATA drives, wich in turn changes the behavior of windows regarding power states handling.

Unfortunately, not every BIOS has this option.

I personnaly won't be able to troubleshoot this problem because it has happened only once in both MX100 that I own, and it was months apart.

Unless the SSDs start acting up, I will hope for the best and wait feedback from other users, and of course a new firmware that can fix this issue once and for all.

Kilobyte Kid

Yeah, I now got the crashing bug as well after 6 months of zero crashes. System simply halts and after that the ssd is no longer detected. A power off is required. I have Windows 8.1 and a desktop H87 chipset.

I did only a couple of changes, and turning on/off aggressive lpm support had no effect. I'm unsure if Windows is able to able to override this. Thus the only two things that has had an effect is me upgrading the firmware to the latest version and installing other hard drives which are connected to sata but not are not powered (archive hdds).

I'm guessing the firmware update definititely has an effect, but what are the main causes / incompatibilities? Possibly a cable / signal problem. I've had these before where you get DMA CRC errors which go away after changing a sata cable. But most likely it is the power saving incompatibilites.

I've now turned on raid hotswap function on (just having it as raid vs. ahci did not help) and I turned Link power management off from the Intel RST drivers. If you won't hear from me, this may indeed be a fix. Smiley Wink

Kilobyte Kid

I'm going to turn off LPM on all sata drives.

If you use Intel Rapid Technology driver, there is an how-to here: http://www.ithacks.com/2012/10/14/fixing-an-ssd-freezing-on-windows-7/

Check if the registry settings above stick, I had to modify them again manually and reboot a second time.

Let's see if it solves the problem.

Fingers crossed... I you don't hear from me again, then it's solved (OR it hasn't happened again by coincidence).

SODIMM Sherpa

My SSD just ramdonly disconnected while gaming (MX100 is my games drive) even with this new firmware.

How much longer will we have to deal with this until Crucial decides to fix the issue? Either the firmware or the drive is faulty. Do you even care about your customers, Crucial?

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

@thepedro wrote:

I'm going to turn off LPM on all sata drives.

If you use Intel Rapid Technology driver, there is an how-to here: http://www.ithacks.com/2012/10/14/fixing-an-ssd-freezing-on-windows-7/

Check if the registry settings above stick, I had to modify them again manually and reboot a second time.

Let's see if it solves the problem.

Fingers crossed... I you don't hear from me again, then it's solved (OR it hasn't happened again by coincidence).

As far as I know, that doesn't work with modern versions of the driver.  Instead, there's a setting in the app for controlling LPM.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Dual Channel Surfer

I updated an MX100 on a UEFI motherboard using a EFI bootable USB a couple of days ago.

This successfully updated the MX100 512GB SSD from MU01 to MU02.

I used same GRUB-EFI method previously used for the M550 - details on how to update using USB in these threads:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/EFI-UEFI-Booting-the-Crucial-Micron-M550-firmware-update/m-...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1844323

The zip file containing the GRUB-EFI updater for the MX100 is in an attachment to the macrumors thread.

The same EFI bootable USB also boots a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13-inch, but since I don’t have an MX100 in that one, I can only verify that it boots the Micron update tool without problems.

However it should work with most machines with 64-bit EFI.