Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

SOLVED
Bit Baby

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

I have no problems with the drive but i just thought to aply the update, but it won't update, it stays MU01.

Can anyone give me some pointers to whats going on? It's strange the update isn't updating without any information.

Kilobyte Kid

Has anyone tried to install the firmware update using the ISO file download located at this link? That is a direct link to the ZIP file that contains an ISO file.

You would then use Windows CD Burning Tool by right-clicking on the extracted ISO file and selecting Open with and then choose Windows Disc Image Burner. It will then make a CD/DVD out of the ISO file. You would then reboot your machine and boot the machine with the CD/DVD instead of your SSD.

You can also use a blank USB flash drive if you so wish to do so by using Rufus. You would download it, run it, then use "Create a bootable disk using" and then choose "ISO Image" and choose the extracted ISO file. Like the CD/DVD way, you would then reboot your machine and then boot the machine with the USB flash drive instead of your SSD.

Kilobyte Kid

@targetbsp wrote:

Use the option in the IRST system tray app - then you don't have to worry about doing the right one.  The registry technique is for old versions of the driver.

OK, done that - eventually.

Not sure what has gone on but IRST refused to launch. I got the Window's standard 'this application has stopped working' dialog. I tried reinstalling the latest from Intel and that refused to install, saying something like 'not applicable to your system'. Clearly I must have mucked something up at some point in trying to get this working.

So... I grabbed a slightly older version (12.9.0.1001) and that installed and ran OK. I also have some extra entries relating to iaStor in the registry now.

I'll see how it goes - thanks for the help.

Kilobyte Kid

Can ayone please tell me what is wrong with Crucail Storage Executive program? after I download it and install it directly to my PC then I opened it up. it said that my SSD was config in RAID mode but it's not.  I use MX100 512Gz for Windows and connected directly to my motherboard and I use my HIghpoint RocketRAID controller card for DATA. there was 2 completely different but the Crucial Storage Executive won't recognize my SSD so what's going there please help me out. I can't update firmware for it. BTW, I'm kinda lazy to created bootable CD to install it. those software should run perfectly without require different medthod.

Bit Baby

Drive is in MacPro 2010.  Booted into Windows 7 (BootCamp), and Crucial Storage Executive said there was an update for the MX100 512GB drive (non-boot storage drive) and said it would re-boot from update ISO image.  It rebooted into ISO image OK, but update failed with error 13. When machine rebooted it then hung at windows logo (some windows repair and finally booting OK).

Downloaded MX100_MU02_BOOTABLE_ALL_CAP and burned CD.

Removed MX100 from Mac and connected it to Abit IP35E motherboard, booted from Update ISO CD and update failed with error 13.  Connected MX100 to MSI H81M-E32 V2 motherboard (bios said SATA was in AHCI mode), booted Update ISO CD and update completed OK!

Third times the charm.  Not the smoothest update process. At least is did not brick my MX100 or mess anything else up. Data on MX100 survived OK (always a good thing).

Maybe the update would have worked if I had tried booting the Update ISO CD disk on the Mac, but I did not try that. The Mac is my main machine, and the first failure was enough to scare me off from tryiing it again on that machine.

Crucial Employee

Hi khado007,

Thanks for your post.

I’m sorry that you could not get Storage Executive to update your firmware.

You said that you have a RAID card installed in your system.  Can you temporarily remove that and try the update again?  It would like this is possibly causing a conflict with Storage Executive as it can’t run when a drive is running in RAID.  I do understand that you said your SSD is not in RAID but I would still try this and see how it goes.

When detected it will run on your system and update no problem at all.  Alternatively you can run the bootable ISO file from here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd just select the model and follow the instructions detailed here: http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/firmware/MX100/MU02/crucial-firmware-update-instructions-...

If you do need any help, or if you would like to talk us through it, then you can contact the customer service team directly using the links in my signature.  We would be more than happy to talk you through the upgrade.

If you have any other questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Crucial Employee

Hi MacsAreCool,

Thanks for your post.  I am sorry to hear the firmware update did not go as smooth as it should have.

Thank you for posting such a detailed comment and I will personally feed this back to the firmware team to have a look in to further.

I have looked in to error 13 and this is very rare but can happen when a drive is not set to AHCI mode.  The reason it did work is that you were able to set it to AHCI mode in the MSI motherboard.   Once again I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused and if you do have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.  

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks Crucial_Junket for quick replying the problem is solved now it turn out that I have to set AHCI mode to IDE mode then everything run smoothly. I don't know why ACHI mode won't work. maybe I have DVD-RW also hook it up to the same mode.

Bit Baby

I have an Acer 5750 laptop (i3 cpu), this is my experience with an MX100 512GB in case anyone else with said laptop needs to resolve problems. I had BSOD at desktop only when on battery. It came with MU01 firmware. Updating to MU02 did nothing for the problem. Setting to IDE mode in BIOS produced different BSOD during boot, so that was not helpful.

tl;dr -> With laptop plugged in, install RST v12 drivers from Intel, disable Link Power Management in the RST software.

Long version:

1) Did not have laptop plugged in.

- At the desktop, the mouse got laggy and the start bar was not responding. When putting the mouse over the start bar, it showed the spinning "busy" icon. After a few minutes of steady disk activity light blinking, Windows would BSOD and the system would reset. After reset, the SSD would not detect until the laptop was powered off and on.

- Safe Mode worked fine. Downloaded latest SATA drivers from Acer, installed, restarted. BSOD's again.

2) Plugged in the laptop.  Cold boot.

- Everything was fine.

3) Unplugged laptop.

- BSOD returned. After a fresh boot, plugging in the laptop at the desktop didn't help. Once the laggy glitching started, the BSOD was inevitable.

4 ) Started laptop plugged in again.

- Everything fine.

- Unplugging the laptop after Windows was running for a while would lead to an eventual BSOD

- Updated firmware from MU01 to MU02, which made no difference.

- Downloaded v12 RST software from Intel, installed.

- Disabled Link Power Management in the RST software under the "Performance" tab.

- Reboot, no problems. Shut down

5) Unplugged laptop again.

- Cold boot on battery... everything good (so far)

After all this, I was able to use the laptop for 15 minutes on battery, without a problem. If anything changes, I will post again.

Kilobyte Kid

Nope - reparing the driver install did nothing. It's still happening.

Took until today for it to happen again (it was intermiitant in the first place), but it's freezing up continually and refusing to even boot again. Had SMART failure on startup and "no OS found". Also had it freeze half way through starting Windows, which gave me an error message along the lines of, "an unrecoverable i/o error has occured" and a load of useless gumpf about if I've plugged in a USB storage device, which I hadn't.

So there's still a problem with the drive or firmware before it even gets to start Windows.