Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

Well looks like you guys were right. I sent my MX100 in for replacement and had the new one in service 14 days without issues until last night.  I was in the middle of doing taxes so the computer was not in sleep, hibernation, or any other idle state.  Got a BSOD and booted to boot screen and the SSD was not on the list.

I turned it off for about 10 minutes and it came up normally.  Same problem as original but running MU02 firmware.

I have replaced the Crucial with my slow but reliable and troublefree OEM Samsung HDD.  I may get a Samsung EVO later or maybe even a Seagate SSHD hybrid drive to save a few bucks since it looks like I wasted $200 on the Crucial MX100.  This MX100 experience doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy about SSDs in general.

I've bought a lot of memory from Crucial in the past but I think I'm done.

Kilobyte Kid

I just started a thread a couple days ago here:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Epic-fail-OS-migration-to-MX100-is-impossibru/m-p/166773#M4...

After many hours I was unable to Migrate my OS to my new MX100

I was advised to upgrade the firmware, which I have been trying ever since.

So here is my rant.

I have tried on 3 machines, with 2 different cables, external and internal,

with the Executive software, as well as booting from USB. been in and out of the BIOS settings.

NOTHING HAS WORKED!

Updated should not be this complicated. It's crazy. 

CRUCIAL, When your simple update requires people to know their way around BIOS and be familiar with burning ISO images and creating boot disks, you should know you've gone done {word filter evasion}

Most happy-go-lucky computer users have never heard of BIOS, or ISO files etc. And these are your customers.

The best result I got was using an old windows 7 laptop. It could find the SSD in the executive program, but  once the process started the drive could not be found, and the update failed.

And when the upgrade does work, for those people. The bugs they experience have not been fixed.

I'm extremely **bleep** off now. As I have spent 4 nights in a row struggling with this drive.

Taking my laptops apart 3 times times.

A drive that was advertised to me as being "Best Value", from a trusted brand. And the process of migration was said 

to be as simple as 3 easy steps. BOLLOX! 

By the amount of problems I see on this thread it is obvious there is a serious flaw in the design of the drive or the software/firmware. 

I regreat not checking this forum before buying the drive.

I really regret spending money on this satanic device, and I regret even more all the time I've wasted trying to make it work.

At best I have paid premium $ for an external storage device with issues.

I can never get my time back, but if I can get a refund at least I can spend my dosh on a product that works as described.

Kilobyte Kid

I sincerely hope engineering realizes Mac users need to be able to upgrade firmware on their own machines.

Kilobyte Kid

Hogeye, best update your previous post so that folks don't read it and go through the whole procedure of RMA'ing their drive for nothing.

This is a firmware problem and no RMA is going to fix it unless a recall is issued by Crucial.

NyQ
Kilobyte Kid

I feel a little guilty that my MX100 appears to work ok with Windows 7 before and after being updated to MU02. Did I get a "good" one or does this appear to be an issue with Windows 8.1?

Kilobyte Kid

@NyQ wrote:

I feel a little guilty that my MX100 appears to work ok with Windows 7 before and after being updated to MU02.

Same here. MX100 256GB bought in September, used with Windows 7 on an Intel Series-5-board with MU01 and MU02 and Intel's AHCI-driver (version 11.2, iirc), no problems so far.

Kilobyte Kid

I am running Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Unfortunately I had problems with my MX100 having BSOD And disappearing drive after boot. The issue is completely random. Sometimes it'll occur in a week or several months down the road.

And I use it strictly as a boot drive and programs. All data is mapped to a different storage device and not on the MX100.
Kilobyte Kid

@Squuiid wrote:

Hogeye, best update your previous post so that folks don't read it and go through the whole procedure of RMA'ing their drive for nothing.

This is a firmware problem and no RMA is going to fix it unless a recall is issued by Crucial.

Done, Squuiid!  I've pulled the drive

[Edited per Guidelines: Be relevant.]

Kilobyte Kid

I see that lot's of people are having problems with the drive disappearing, so I will leave my story here:

In my desktop I had only one disconnect, a few days after buying the drive, with FW MU01. I immediatly assumed the worse, but as I already had the same model in my laptop without any issue (the laptop is SATA2 only), I tried a few things.

In the end, it turned out that the SATA cable was the problem. I replaced it with a new one and no more disconnects for me.

The cable wasn't damaged and worked fine with other SATA2 drives.

So my advice is to replace your SATA cable because that might solve the issue.

I searched if there were any different specifications for SATA3 cables, but didn't find any.

I just used a new one that came with a new motherboard bought recently.

Everything remains fine with firmware MU02, in my case I didn't notice any stability issue. Windows 7 seems to boot faster, but that may be just a coincidence.

Hope that it helps.

Kilobyte Kid

I have sold about 85 MX100 series drives to various clients about 75% 256GB, 20% 128GB, 5% 512GB, maybe 1 -2 1TB. I have only had 1 drive that has experienced this issue. That drive was swapped out for a Samsung 850 and issue was resolved. I have a feeling there is somekind of issue with a batch(s) of drives.

I am personally using a MX100 512GB and no issues.