Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Feedback Thread: Firmware MU02 for MX100

I can confirm this update method working for my MX100 256GB model, motherboard being Asus P8H77-M.

Many thanks!

JEDEC Jedi

@sl2g2 wrote:

I can confirm this update method working for my MX100 256GB model, motherboard being Asus P8H77-M.

If the original Crucial updater didn't work on your system but this update method worked for you it is worth giving a kudo, in my humble opinion Smiley Happy 

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Agreed. Fixed.

Dual Channel Surfer

@zebul666 wrote:

no.

There is 2 firmwares:

One only for MX100 128GB

and another one for the 256GB and 512GB even 1TB ?

I'm guessing that is because the 128GB MX100 is using 20nm NAND and the others use 16nm NAND.

http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_mx100_ssd_review

What I find quite interesting is the firmware for the 128GB version compared with the M550 MU02 firmware. Unpack the core.gz ramdisk images for each firmware update and use diff.

$ diff mx100/opt/firmware_128/MU02/1.bin m550/opt/firmware/MU02/1.bin

The diff command finds shows no difference between the MX100 128GB MU02 and M550 MU02 firmware files.

I seem to recall there was a question from someone with a 128GB MX100 and storage director updated it using the M550 firmware and they were wondering if it would cause any problems. It appears that the answer is 'no' because for the 128GB MX100, it's the same firmware.

JEDEC Jedi

thepedro wrote:

I also found in other forums that one person solved this issue activating the "hot-plug" function in the BIOS for SATA drives, wich in turn changes the behavior of windows regarding power states handling.

The tips regarding LPM are being posted on this forum since 2011. There is a nice spectrum of tips including hot-plug (hot-swap), enabling HIPM+DIPM, disabling link power management in RST console, setting Windows power plan options, ununstalling Acronis after SSD cloning, firmware updating, BIOS updating, checking for some BIOS options, changing AHCI driver (or checking if the driver installed is not too old), and few more that I cannot recall at the moment Smiley Happy Would you believe in that I have been accused one or two times that I post those tips "in every thread"? Smiley LOL We are posting those tips often since we cannot ignore the fact they have helped many users with SSDs from Crucial and other producers. There is no guarantee they would solve particular issue but most of them are easy to try.

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

The update is not working on my 512gb mx100, the update process goes well and i have to reboot, after the reboot the hardwareID is stil MU01.

Also the Storage Executive Client still sees it MU01

Tried it in different browsers, no difference. IE with intranet enabled, it asked for it.

w7 x64, everything up to date running with ms security essentials.

ahci  enabled in bios.

Am i missing something?

EDIT: btw i was not addressing this post to bogdan, dont know where that came from. My remark/question is for the Crucial team or anyone who can help me.

Kilobyte Kid

When i first got my 512GB MX100 a couple of months ago, and rebuilt/reinstalled my PC with, I started getting frequent freezing up, usually trigered by doing things like clicking a web page, trying to start a program, almost anything. The already running programs continued to function to an extent, but it seemed anything trying to access the SSD was stopped.

Often, the only recourse was a hard-reset, and often even that didn't work at first and I had to pull the power for a full minute (capacitors discharging on the SSD I imagine). If I didn't do that, a reboot got either a SMART failure on the SSD, or, if it got past that, a "no OS found" or similar, as if there was no HD.

So, I came here and found the MU02 update and applied it. I thought it was working, mostly. I still get the occasional freeze, but it seems to clear after about 20 seconds and things continue. Unfortunately, once this starts, it seems to happen more and more frequently until I'm forced to reboot. Until today, a normal reboot went fine. Today, the old problem came back. I got the "no OS" message and had to pull the plug for a minute. Then it booted fine.

So, it seems the issue is not fixed entirely. It's getting quite annoying as I'm using my PC more at the moment.

I've also got the LPM disabled with the registry edit that's floating around. MB is a Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 with the latest BIOS. OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate updated fully as of a week ago anyway.

Any help?

JEDEC Jedi

Hi foxyrick,

Have you installed Intel INF and Rapid Storage Technology driver from Gigabyte site? How did you disable LPM, have you created registry entries for iaStor branch only?

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I used the latest (at least from a month or so ago) inf and RST driver from Intel, not the ones from gigabyte. Yes, I have only created the entries in the iaStor branch - I also have an iaStorA branch, but not an iaStorV as mentioned in that link. Should I add the entries (Port0 etc.) there also?

JEDEC Jedi

Use the option in the IRST system tray app - then you don't have to worry about doing the right one.  The registry technique is for old versions of the driver.

Want to be a Super User?