Firmware update does not find ssd drive

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Firmware update does not find ssd drive

Hello.  Was wondering if anyone had encountered a problem with the firmware update process where the process proceeds normally (files execute, computer reboots, and process continues) until the point where the update tries to find the drive but does not.  The process then just reboots the system after the failed attempt.  I saw the note in the firmware warning about the issue occurring on certain UEFI based systems, but this is not the case on the MSI laptop that I'm attempting the update on.  The drive is usable and the laptop 'sees' the drive (I believe) so I don't think it's a disappearing drive issue (copied a screenshot of the device mgr info below).  Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated as I would rather update it on the laptop itself vs dragging into a desktop and attempting it there as I would have to borrow a desktop as there are none in the household.

crucial.jpg 

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Firmware update does not find ssd drive

Try the manual boot file updater rather than the Windows one.  IT tends to find the drive in more cases than the Windows one is able to.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Firmware update does not find ssd drive

Hello. Thank you for the info.  I tried the manual update via a bootable USB and while it did not work the first time, I tried again with the AHCI setting off (tried just through IDE setting based on the manual update instructions/notes) and it worked fine.  Thanks again.