Free space decreases after I delete files on CT240M500SSD1 SSD.

Kilobyte Kid

Free space decreases after I delete files on CT240M500SSD1 SSD.

Free space decreases after I delete files on CT240M500SSD1 SSD, causing it to fill up to 93%. I left my Win 7 PC in idle state for 24 hours and much of the free space became available, so I suspect that Trim is not working but Garbage Collection is. Storage Executive says the SSD is healthy, but it shows 7 GB more free space than Windows. I have tried updating the firmware without success. Is there any way I can get Trim working on this SSD? If so, can the freeware app SSD Tool be used to trigger Trim of the SSD? Regards, Chris J

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Free space decreases after I delete files on CT240M500SSD1 SSD.

GC and Trim have absolutely nothing to do with your drives free space quantity.  That's some kind of software issue.  Make sure you have no malware on your system.  And next time you're out of space, use something like this to see where it has gone: http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml?pk_campaign=AdWords&pk_kwd=TreeSize_Pro_EN

As for the drive space discrepancy, Windows measures drive space in a way that's technically incorrect by modern standards.  It works on the assumption that 1 kilobyte is 1024 but it was standarised as 1000 back in '98.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte

Try this to see if trim is working: https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi, thanks for the reply. WinDirStat shows 81.7GB of "unknown" on the drive, but the options to delete it are greyed out.

WinDirStat snapshot (2).PNG

The large yellow area is the unknown, the free space is the large black area. So is there any way to get rid of it?

Regards, ChrisJ

Kilobyte Kid

Hi, I forgot to say that there is no malware on the disk and Trim is not working, according to trimcheck. ChrisJ

JEDEC Jedi

@ChrisJ wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply. WinDirStat shows 81.7GB of "unknown" on the drive, but the options to delete it are greyed out.

Hi ChrisJ,

Have you managed to solve that? 

WinDirStat shows 'unknown' for System Volume Information and other files with read-access denied, like for System Restore files.

For a quick check on the space occupied by System Restore you can run following command from the elevated command prompt:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

I believe that typically 2-5% allocated for System Restore should be enough and in case you would have some strange setting like 50% by default, you could adjust it following way:

- Right Click on 'My Computer'

- Click 'Properties'

- Click 'System Protection' on the left plane

- In the System Protection tab, select your SSD in the 'Protection Settings' area

- Click 'Configure'

- Here you can either turn off the protection, or you can set the maximum disk space usage. I would probably leave 2%

- Click 'Apply'

As for the TRIMCheck, could you post its output? Also what is your motherboard's model and storage driver version in use? You can check the driver version with Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> right click on the selected controller -> Properties -> Driver tab

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?