Here we go again - daily power cycle of M4 070H

Kilobyte Kid

Here we go again - daily power cycle of M4 070H

So, I have 2x256GB M4 in RAID0 using an ASUS p8p67 Deluxe motherboard.

Last year, I had the problem of the drives all of a sudden freezing, then disappearing from the BIOS. After a reboot, they'd come back as either a non-member to the RAID, or with just "error" as it's status. After a few days of power cycling and a firmware upgrade (I can't remember which one), the issue seemed to have been resovled.

2 days ago, the issue returned. It's been well over 6 months and now I've had to power-cycle the SSD's again. My recent power cycle gave me about 8 hours of normal use, then when I fire up a video game, after 25 minutes they'd start acting up again. Each taking turns with their tantrums.

Any idea what's going on with these drives? Wasn't 070H supposed to fix this issue?

20 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Here we go again - daily power cycle of M4 070H

Looks like this power cycle isn't going to temporarily fix my issues. One of my drives is now a non-member to the RAID again.

If I break the RAID, recreate it and then try to reinstall windows, it BSOD's when trying to format, then after the BSOD becomes a non-member. I can format the other drive just fine...

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

I don't use RAID, just AHCI, but every M4 that I've used in my ASUS G73JH so far, has given me problems.  I even tried the older Firmware's but I still had problems.

Kilobyte Kid

I seriously believe that all of us with M4's that are experiencing issues are in fact experiencing the same defect. If that is true, then this is really concerning, as that's a large amount of SSD's with that sort of defect.

I hope I am wrong.

On another note, going to try to power cycle these one more time, then RMA. I am 100% certain that the replacement drives will also have the same problem. It just sucks that we spend so much money on a product and have to deal with these kind of issues throughout ownership.

If anybody can recommend another name brand to use, please do so. I may purchase another set of 256GB SSD's from another company and use the M4's as a back-up in case those also have weird issues. At this point, I am also considering going back to 10K RPM mechanical drives..... :/

JEDEC Jedi

According to forum rules we should not use competitors brand names but there are many good brands out there. From the other hand you would never know if the drive would be absolutely issue free in your particular system unless you would bought it.

I have a X1 brand sandforce driven SSD and it gave me some BSODs at the beginning of use - I have uninstalled Intel RST driver (in favor of MSAHCI) and it works just fine. I have another X2 brand SSD (with Marvell controller) and it gave me some BSODs at the beginning of use - I have had to install Intel RST for it and additionally I had to apply so called LPM registry fix for it. It works great now.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my M4 works flawlessly in my system since zero-hour.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@front360 wrote:

I don't use RAID, just AHCI, but every M4 that I've used in my ASUS G73JH so far, has given me problems.  I even tried the older Firmware's but I still had problems.

I'm sure I keep telling you this?  But unless you've RMA'd your drive recently, yours actually is broken according to its SMART info and has been for a long while!

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

@bogdan wrote:

According to forum rules we should not use competitors brand names but there are many good brands out there. From the other hand you would never know if the drive would be absolutely issue free in your particular system unless you would bought it.

I have a X1 brand sandforce driven SSD and it gave me some BSODs at the beginning of use - I have uninstalled Intel RST driver (in favor of MSAHCI) and it works just fine. I have another X2 brand SSD (with Marvell controller) and it gave me some BSODs at the beginning of use - I have had to install Intel RST for it and additionally I had to apply so called LPM registry fix for it. It works great now.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my M4 works flawlessly in my system since zero-hour.

Good for  you man. I hope your M4 lasts forever.

Kilobyte Kid

@targetbsp wrote:

@front360 wrote:

I'm sure I keep telling you this?  But unless you've RMA'd your drive recently, yours actually is broken according to its SMART info and has been for a long while!

Did.....did you follow him here to this post just to yell at him? LOL. Smiley Happy

front360, listen to targetbsp! C'MON! Smiley Tongue

JEDEC Jedi

@mrphoe wrote:

Did.....did you follow him here to this post just to yell at him? LOL. Smiley Happy

front360, listen to targetbsp! C'MON! Smiley Tongue

lol. I don't mean any offense towards him, as I'm sure you understood from your smilies Smiley Very Happy , he's most helpful around these forums. Smiley Happy  I just don't think he's going to able to solve his own drive problems without an RMA based on what I've seen of his SMART data.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I really don't think a 3rd RMA is going to fix anything, but I'm not against trying.Smiley Wink  It's just that I'm on Disability and my wife is currently unemployed.  Currently I don't have a external or any disk large enough to make a backup image of the SSD.  I wish Crucial would offer me a professional courtesy and send me the RMA first, because I don't have the money to pay them for a new one only to be reimbursed after they receive my damaged M4.  My wife is using the M4, when it works, for her school work towards her Master's Degree.