Here we go again - daily power cycle of M4 070H

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Here we go again - daily power cycle of M4 070H

Have you set advanced power options for the Drive so it turns off "Never" both on battery and AC?

Kilobyte Kid

@Rexy624 wrote:

Have you set advanced power options for the Drive so it turns off "Never" both on battery and AC?

Of course! I follow a SSD optimization guide, cuz I can never remember every single thing to do. One of the first things to do is to set advanced power options so the drive never turns off.

I believe my main problems are that I have them in RAID0 using a p8p67 mobo, and that my computer is basically always on. I expected to run into problems, for sure. But, not so early in the ownership stage. I figured I had way after warranty ran out before these things would give me any issue.

Kudos to Crucial's RMA team. They know what they're doing and was quick to get me an RMA # after I told them my story. The guy over the phone didn't imply that every single M4 has the same defect, but he did sorta jump straight away to "sounds like you need a power cycle."

Then again, a power cycle *could* be the fix for more than one issue. What do I know? I just know that my SSD's don't work the way they should and now I have to ship them out for replacements, which will probably have the same problems in another 4-10 months.

Kilobyte Kid

@front360 wrote:

I really don't think a 3rd RMA is going to fix anything, but I'm not against trying.Smiley Wink  It's just that I'm on Disability and my wife is currently unemployed.  Currently I don't have a external or any disk large enough to make a backup image of the SSD.  I wish Crucial would offer me a professional courtesy and send me the RMA first, because I don't have the money to pay them for a new one only to be reimbursed after they receive my damaged M4.  My wife is using the M4, when it works, for her school work towards her Master's Degree.

Yeah, I hear ya. Imagine if they came out with the next generation of M4's and gave everybody who had to RMA their drives before a free upgrade to the new SSD's (don't even send the old one's back, unless you want them recycled properly). That would SO make my day. **bleep**, my year. **bleep**, MY DECADE. Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

You would think that bsod'ing and disappearing SSD would be bad enough, but not for me.  Sometimes I find corruption after I finally get the BIOS to see my M4 again.  If I'm lucky, it just fouled up a program which I can just reinstall.  If I'm unlucky and Windows gets corrupted and SFC /scannow fails, and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth can't fix it, well then I have to Refresh or Reinstall again.

I check these forums everyday in hopes for yet another Firmware update that will finally fix the M4 for me.

JEDEC Jedi

I don't think a firmware update will ever help you front, I think yours is actually broke.  I appreciate the fact you've been incredibly unlucky and this isn't the first one its happened to!  I don't spose you checked the smart data when you first got it to see if it was alright out of the box?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Bogdan mentioned the LPM fix earlier in the thread.  Have you tried that?  Someone in the LPM thread mentioedn it fixed their disappearing drive problem: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solution-C300-Disk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7-solved...

Note that you have to disable it form Intels software on the newer versions of the driver.  The registry patch won't do anything.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Just like the OP noted, I had a problem where my m4 with 070H would "seize up" and then disappear from the system until I shut down to a "power off" state and rebooted. As noted in another thread on this forum: I have been running the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (v12.x) and found the option for disabling LPM there. I also went into my BIOS and found that an "Aggressive Link Power Management" feature was enabled there as well. I turned that off.

With those two changes in place, my m4 appears to have resumed its normal/stable behavior. Also as I noted in the other thread: I do not accept this workaround as a long-term solution because I do believe that Crucial should address this issue via a firmware update.

I hope this helps!

JEDEC Jedi

And on another forum (general computing) an M4 user has resolved a similar issue simply by swapping the sata power and data cables to the drive.  So iffy cables or poor conenctions between them and the drive can also cause issue.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

@targetbsp wrote:

And on another forum (general computing) an M4 user has resolved a similar issue simply by swapping the sata power and data cables to the drive.  So iffy cables or poor conenctions between them and the drive can also cause issue.

Good info to have. I've certainly seen such problems occur with harddrives as well.

In my case, the issue did not occur until I updated to Intel's newest version of Rapid Storage Technology as well as the latest BIOS that supports Windows 8. That necessitated disabling Link Power Management (LPM - for those who read these forums and only ever see the acronym).

Kilobyte Kid

@targetbsp wrote:

I went ahead with the RMA and just got the drives 2 days ago. I've also replaced my SATA cables with the one's that came with the board. The ONLY reason I didn't use those in the first place, was because they were L shaped on one side and flat on the other. This time around I simply used the L shaped side on the bottom SATA port on my mobo and on the bottom SSD, and the straight sides on the top SATA port on my MOBO and on the top drive.

Sounds confusing, but it's simple. The bottom drive is drive 0, the top drive is drive 1. Smiley Tongue

Now to wait 4-6 months to see if these drives start to act up. At first, I wasn't willing to replace the drive and drop $400 on new one's (it hasn't even been 3 years yet!), however I think Crucial really has a big issue here. As much as I don't want to jump ship to another brand...it might be the only option. And like someone said before, what guarantee do any of us have that another brand is trouble free. They ALL have their own little SSD issues.... Smiley Sad

If I remember to, I'll post back here again in another 6 months to let everybody know how the drives are doing in the raid0 config. Thanks again, guys!