How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

Bit Baby

Re: How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

WOW...I am humbled.  I apologize for bringing a somewhat non-crucial issue to this thread, but I wanted you guys to know that the little power-on, connect data cable, and re-boot trick works wonders for a variety of drives...to include lost dvd/rw stuff.  I have a Crossfire mobo that lost all sata support for five devices...which apparently just vanished into thin air as far as the bios was concerned.  I tried the fix after finding this amongst a pile of research into various manufacturer websites and support forums for my equipment.  I was about to unplug everything and just start-over...to include buying another motherboard, as it wasn't seeing ANY drive I had in my collection.  As I pressed ctrl-alt-delete, I was thinking about how much I would have to budget for a board for a re-build.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the only drive i had attached appear...the original boot drive.  It booted fine, and to load all other devices, I simply disconnected it for the re-boot seqence again...this time plugging-in the other four devices before re-boot.  The bios read all the devices, and I just had to plug-in the boot disk to bring everything all together again.

Thanks, you guys.

JEDEC Jedi

Glad it helped.

Love the user name! Smiley Very Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Yo yo. well it's 2015 nearly 2016 and my drive had the power issue and was gone from sight. I have a laptop so I fxed it by slipping a strip of paper over the data port and then applying the suggested method in this forum. I then tugged the paper strip out while the drive was still powered on and BooM all good! Thing to know is tha I was already on 070H firmware when my drive had stopped working which I thought should have fixed it before it happened.

JEDEC Jedi

@mpq2394 wrote:

slipping a strip of paper over the data port

I am not sure why but it reminded me of how we were overclocking Celeron 300A processors Smiley LOL

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi guys, have the same problem but can't seem to fix it. I've had my 64gb M4 SSD "fail" sporadically (from once in a blue moon to few times a week) over the 4 years I've had it. My computer would restart without recognizing it (it's the boot drive), however it would start working again after one or a few restarts.

This time it failed, and after I rebooted and logged into Windows it failed again right away and I had to do a hard reboot. Ever since then the computer is not recognizing it no matter what I do. I've tried what was suggested here many times to no avail. I've just booted into PartedMagic (although I don't really know how to use it). The "Disk Health" application is not showing the SSD. What do I need to do in PartedMagic to "revive" the SSD?

The only other thing worth mentioning is that I don't believe I've ever updated the SSD firmware since I bought it in 2011 (unless it updated automatically, which I doubt).

What else can I try to do to get it working again? I'm going to buy a sata-to-usb adapter and try to connect it to a laptop and see what happens. I'm really afraid it's died for good this time. Not the end of the world as it is only a boot drive, but having to reinstall OS (not to mention losing an SSD) would be a pain.

Thank you for any help.tips..

Bit Baby

Can I do this process on a macbook (mid2012)?
Bit Baby

Thanks a lot. I used the cables of my ext. 3.5" and now SSD is working. I'll first recover my files then update the the firmware Yay! Thank you very much buddy. I'm so happy right now. Cat Very Happy

Bit Baby

Thanks to TabsAZ

I made an account on this forum just to give thanks to this post for fixing my SSD. 

Even though my SSD is a Samsung (EVO 840), the method fixed the problem of BIOS not detecting it.

1. Plug in only the power cable to SSD
  2. Turn on the computer and go into the BIOS
  3. Let it sit for around 30 minutes
  4. Connect SSD to the motherboard with the SATA cable
  5. Press the reset button on the computer and go into the BIOS
  6. If you are lucky, your SSD should now be detected again in the BIOS, ready to work!

Cheers!

Bit Baby

WOW THANKS!!! While working in my fuse box I inadvertainly tripped the 15 amp breaker for my office. From then on my PC would not reconise the SSD.( the last time it wouldn't reconize the SSD after a power failure I cleared the CMOS and it worked BUT NOT THIS TIME) I have been working on it for HOURS and came across this thread. I followed your direction and IT WORKED!!!

Bit Baby

I should add after plugging in my WD HD and 2 Blu-Ray players and restarting they were not detected. I fixed them the same way all 3 at the same time!!!