How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

Kilobyte Kid

Re: How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

Further to my comment yesterday, I've just successfully downgraded the firmware to 0309. All is working fine, with no problems.

But, Crucially(!) ... the damage has been done.

I'd say that there's a problem with firnware version 010G and that it needs fixing.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi, I have been also having problems with my m4 128GB and found a bit faster solution, maybe it will be helpful for someone. However, my case is a bit different becasue apart from M4 (Master) I have got also an HDD (Slave).

Once in a while when I turn the PC on the screen is black and instead of the normal "one beep" i get one long and three short beeps which, according to the mobo manual, singalizes a problem with GPU or RAM, but the SSD is the culprit because I had never had this problem before installing it. What I do is:

1) turn the pc off  AND switch the surge protector off (I find this is important to completely shut the power off.  if you don't have a surge protector just unplug the the power cord)

2) wait 10 secods

3) unplug m4

4) turn the PC on -> everything is fine

5) enter BIOS

6) turn the pc off AND switch the surge protector off

7) wait 10 seconds

8) plug m4

Tags (3)
Kilobyte Kid

This worked for me when the original method didn't, thanks!

Kilobyte Kid

Just joined (on my working m4 due to this guide) to say

YOU ARE AMAZING

tired cruscials way with no sccuess. Had a go at yours and BOOM back in!

THANK YOU!

Kilobyte Kid

Hi everyone,

Like many others, my brand new 128 Go crucial with 01MG firmware is not recognized anymore. For those who fixed it with the method above, could you tell me if it seem that your disk has been completely "repaired", or have you experienced new crashes ?  I am hesitating between trying to fix it or simply sending it back to crucial.

Kilobyte Kid

I have an M4 512Gb and I posted here  how I fixed it not being recognised 3 times, I think. I did this in a laptop without removing the SSD. I installed it on 7 November and it has been fine for over 2 weeks now. If there are any problems I will report them here.

I have 8 partitions on it with about 50% full. The partitions are Linux Ext4. I have lost no data and the system works perfectly now. Disk checks are carried out every 20 boots and they have been fine. I also have a Linux swap partition of about 8Gb which hibernates the computer perfectly. I am wondering if something in the SSD has settled down because I have had no problems since the first day or two. I have been purposely rebooting as often as I can with and without the battery to see if I can make the not being recognised problem reappear. So far it has worked fine.

I feel pretty confident at the moment. I do back up my data partition very frequently just to be on the safe side. But I am really pleased with the speed of everything, the fact that I don't worry about bumping the laptop while using it travelling and the nearly doubled battery life.

I hope this reassures you.

Kilobyte Kid

@Valaar 11-21-2012 11:02 AM

It's been 12 days now since I downgraded the firmware to version 0309, having, immediately prior to that, used the steps above to get the M4 to be recognized by the Bios. Ever since then it has worked perfectly with no problems at all.

Hope this helps.

Kilobyte Kid

About the firmware, my SSD is a mSATA one, and I think I read somewhere that these can't be downgraded to previous firmware. Nayway, I will give the fix a try, and thanks for your answers.

Bit Baby

Yeah the power cycling procedure that Crucial posted is **bleep**.

What's happening is that when your SSD thinks the power supply is suspect (which with the current firmware means every time your computer turns off without shutting down) it locks itself to prevent further damage

The procedure that Crucial posted basically has you sit in idle to "convince" your SSD that your power supply is in fact stable by monitoring a period (like 15-20 min) of stable power.

Hard cycling is a common solution but the procedure that Crucial ennumerated only sporatically works.

One thing you guys could so is take a disk tool that can "wake" locked hard drives.  I use Parted Magic.  Boot into your repair USB or CD with Parted Magic (or whatever utility).  As it loads itself it will wake your drive.  When you get into the program, simply reboot and your SSD will be good to go.

It's worked every time for me.  Alternatively you can struggle with the Crucial procedure, but any means of power cycling will work ie: removing the sata data cable and leaving the SSD plugged into the power for 5-??? minutes.  **bleep** even constantly rebooting will eventually get you back in... the point being the Crucial procedure isn't a validated means of doing it more effectively.  It's just a bunch of **bleep** that they posted which CAN fix your problem.  It's one way.  Is it the best way or even a efficacious way?  Naw.

For me I wish there was a way to just get my SSD to stop doing this.  I initially got a "unstable power supply detected" message a couple weeks ago and now any time I lose power for any reason it locks.  IF ANYONE HAS A WAY TO TURN THIS OFF PLEASE POST IT.

Because my computer is a new system that's being fiddled with for overclocking, obviously there are a few system hangs, random boots etc. *keep it courteous*  Again if anyone knows how to "untoggle" or reset the protection feature of locking itself, let's hear it

Kilobyte Kid

Call me impatient, but I couldn't wait for 30 minutes.  I tried this method twice;  unplug any other drive's SATA cable and reboot, the SSD boot drive should be recognized in BIOS again (may take more than 1 reboot), make sure to reset the SSD as your boot drive (BIOS will assign the next drive in sequence as the boot drive when the SSD goes missing).  It may or may not be necessary to run the Windows repair disc to repair the boot files (not sure because I did it every time).  Anyway, this method doesn't require patience, you should be back up and running after 2 or 3 reboots and a few clicks in the BIOS.  I will try it without the repair disc next time to see if it's even necessary.