How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

Kilobyte Kid

Re: How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

Once I found out about the various procedures for "waking the drive" I could begin to run again.  However, it only stayed awake as long as I didn't do much with my computer.  It got so I would have to wake it several times per hour!  That got old very fast.  My wife's computer, which has a 256 GB drive, has been rock stable on firmware 000F.  So, I downloaded that version from this site, made a boot CD, and flashed it.  I have now been working for 4+ hours, and it seems entirely stable, 

So, for now I am happy.

Joe

Kilobyte Kid

Where did you find the 000F downlaod? I can only find the latest one. Please give a url if possible. Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid

I found it in another thread on this forum:

Re: Crucial m4 firmware 010G is now available[ New ]

@Hallo_32 wrote:
Just again, if you have a 10G SSD mail the support and ask for a guide to flash it down or a solution to get access to 20g or to get a replacement. Just push the support.

Don't you mean "if you have a 01MG mSATA SSD mail the support and ask for a guide to flash it down"?

Crucial have already posted the link (several times) to the 000F firmware, for people with the 010G firmware m4 2.5 inch SSD.

http://edge.crucial.com/firmware/m4/000F/Crucialm4_000F.zip

- Download the ISO
- Burn the ISO to a disc
- Ensure your CD/DVD drive is set as the primary boot device and boot from the disc
- Follow the on screen instructions to install firmware 000F

Good luck,

J

Kilobyte Kid

Many thanks for this procedure.  I've had my 512MB M4 in an Lenovo E320 for a few months now and it has been absolutely fine under Windows 7.  I upgraded it to the latest firmware not more than a week ago I think so I guess that's G and didn't notice any problems.  I've been using it under Windows 8 for 2 or 3 days now and today I shut my laptop down and attempted to power it on and it seemed to hang on the Lenovo splash screen which I assume obscures POST.  I couldn't even get into the BIOS.

After some mucking around I established it was the Crucial M4 that was the problem even though I use an OCZ Nocti mSATA drive for my boot drive.  I tried everything I could think of and I but I couldn't revive it until I found this guide.  I had to put it in a desktop machine to do it and now it's 'working' the first thing I've done start copying everything off it.

I had just installed Hyper-V and started using it however I'm not sure that has any relevance.

Anyway, thanks again.

Kilobyte Kid

I'm not sure you have to start unplugging cables to be honest.

When this has happened to me I've just left the computer sat in the BIOS for a while (10-15 minutes? maybe less).  Then I've just rebooted it and the drive has reappeared.  I haven't had to remove cables or wait 30+ minutes, etc.

As terrible as this bug is I don't think people need to start taking their computer apart to get to cables, etc.  Just try leaving the computer in the BIOS after it's booted and not found the drive, leave it for a while, then reboot again, and it should be back.

(Crucial 256GB M4 2.5" SSD, 010G firmware, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard)

Kilobyte Kid

Yes, I agree, you don't need to unplug anything, I have found. 

The explanation seems to be that the M4 is going into a self protect mode which makes it hidden from the bios unless it is unlocked up by a program like PartedMagic, as explained here by temuchen. or just allowed to reset itself by being powered up for 20 minutes  in the BIOS program. I have also read somewhere that booting from a live Ubuntu CD or USB will also unlock the M4.

Kilobyte Kid

Just leaving it sat in the in the BIOS for a while has worked for me as well, my M4 is 3 weeks old, first happened last week then yesterday and again today, hoping for a fix soon before my patience runs out.

Ule
Kilobyte Kid

Quote from temuchin "For me I wish there was a way to just get my SSD to stop doing this.  I initially got a "unstable power supply detected" message a couple weeks ago and now any time I lose power for any reason it locks.  IF ANYONE HAS A WAY TO TURN THIS OFF PLEASE POST IT."

Unquote

Due to this behaviour I send one M4 back to Amazon, requested the same model (M4/256) and after several FW upgrades it came seldom that it wasn't recognized during booting and it was revived by the powercycling method. ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor***

Greetings Uli

Kilobyte Kid

Yes, Parted Magic booted from a USB flash drive unlocked my M4 2.5" immediately. However, there are a few things that I found.

1. In my Phoenix BIOS with no HD recognised it took a few minutes while trying to find the HD after I pressed F8 for setup. I told it to boot from the USB and the computer restarted. Once again, it took a minute or two to search for the HD (which was undetectable) then it booted from the USB. So be patient the BIOS will try to detect the locked M4.

2. After I booted into USB I ran Parted Magic (from GRUB1, if you are interested). Parted spend a minute or two displaying "Setting up system devices" then started. However, the M4 was not detected in GParted. But it was unlocked because ...

3. I rebooted and M4 was detected at once and booted normally.

If I booted into Parted Magic from an USB hard drive, I am sure that the process would be much quicker, because the BIOS would boot into the detected HD at once. 

Kilobyte Kid

after a hard reset (forced power off) my 256gb m4 ssd with firmware 010g was not seen anymore by the bios of my dell latitude e6500. neither the power cycle recommended by crucial nor the various boot-media related strategies (fw flasher, parted magic) worked for me. i discussed that in crucials live-chat support and was told to try a prolonged power cycle. so i let the drive be powerd on for 12 hours (power cable only, no data connection). then i disconnected the drive and put it back into my laptop where it was detected and booted normally.

so it seems that sometimes it takes a much longer time for the drive to settle (i.e. garbage collection).

after so many users reporting similar problems i think it is time for crucial to make an official statement to the wide spread problem. this situation could ruin their good reputation.

regards,

metulski

Tags (3)