How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

Kilobyte Kid

Re: How I fixed my M4 that wouldn't detect in the BIOS

Just another datapoint... and another slight twist. When I ran across this thread, I realized that I had an external power supply with a SATA power adaptor cable. I pulled the M4 from my laptop, plugged in the power cable, then started reading this thread. After 20 minutes or so, I connected a SATA data to USB cable to the SSD, and connected the USB to a nearby desktop PC (SSD power still on). The desktop say the drive Smiley Happy I pulled the USB, powered off and plugged the SSD back into the laptop. Booted to bios and the SSD was back. Fixed the bios boot order, rebooted, and as I write this post, I'm imaging the SSD. FWIW, I ordered a new (traditional) HD last night... 

Having digested all these posts, if this re-occurs, my plan is to use the recommendation to wait out the 20 minute reset time in bios, reboot to bios, and confirm SSD presence and boot order. If that fails, I'll give the Parted Magic approach a go.

Thanks to everyone here who suffered through this before I arrived. It was this community that pointed to the solution... Crucial did nothing but rework the firmware based upon this thread, and others like it. Once I have my drive image, I'll consider updating the firmware to the recent release.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for this solution.

My M4 is is now recognized at boot.

Bit Baby

I am using an m4 2.5" 256 GB ssd on a laptop. Recently every forced shutdown has resulted in the SSD not being recognized by the laptop on boot.

To solve it, I have been using the install kit, which I bought when I bought the ssd. When the SSD is not recognized, I remove it, replace it by the old HDD and connect it to the laptop using the install kit cable. Turn on the laptop start windows, open file explorer and just wait for the SSD to appear there, which usually takes less than 10 mins. I can then shutdown and replace the HDD by the SSD.

I haven't tried it yet, but it is possible that you can do it even without having to insert an HDD. I will probably try removing the SSD, connecting it using the install kit cable, turn power on and just wait a few minutes to see if that solves the problem. Here you won't have the visual feedback given by File Explorer, which shows the ssd as soon as it gets back to life but, if it works, the annoyance of replacing the ssd by an hdd will be avoided.

Hope this helps.

Kilobyte Kid

Mine is a crucial 512GB Crucial M4 (2.5" SATAII) and I had a similar problem this morning. My MacBook Pro stopped responding and I had to to force it to shut down by holding the power button then I restarted it only to get question mark on a folder icon and the machine would not proceed from there. To solve this I removed the SSD from the laptop and attached it to an external SATAII to USB adaptor and connected it to a windows laptop. I had to connect and disconnect it for a few times before windows recognized the drive (also restated the windows laptop twice). I had with me the 500GB SATA drive that was originally installed in the MacBook Pro so I put it back into the MacBook Pro and then connected the SATA II to USB adaptor to it after startup and used Carbon Copy Cloner ( trial version) to image the SSD drive as a backup just in case the drive fails and then installed the SSD back into the MacBook Pro and it started with no problems so far.
Kilobyte Kid

My Crucial M225 128GB suddenly disappeared from BIOS one day after working properly for almost four years. I tried everything I could find online for over two days but it never showed up. Then as a last resort I put it in the oven and heated it up to almost 70 C and then immediately installed it and booted up. On the first try BIOS recognized it and it booted into Windows without any dataloss. I don`t know for how long it will last but I have at least a chance to take a backup. At the Crucial homepage the operating temperature on M225 is stated 0-70C so I made sure it didn't`t go over that temperature.

Kilobyte Kid

@Nevik wrote:

Then as a last resort I put it in the oven and heated it up to almost 70 C and then immediately installed it and booted up. On the first try BIOS recognized it and it booted into Windows without any dataloss.

Can you please explain to me why baking a solid state device would fix it?

There are no mechanical parts?

I really dont see how this makes any sense?

Gary

JEDEC Jedi

I would guess it may be related to how PCB is built. Good for you Nevik but I wouldn't recommend that method as a permanent fix Smiley Wink

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I read an article a while back about heating a graphic card in the oven could get it up and running. So I tried this with the ssd and it worked for me. I don`t know why but there maybe something to do with the solder joints on the PCB. But it is strange that less than 70C could do anything about that. Or maybe something to do with the cells, I don`t know. I had already tried the two different methods about connecting/reconnecting power and data cables many times. And I tried to leave the computer on for 12 hours with only the power connector. Up and downgraded BIOS, Parted Magic. Tried a different computer. I probably restarted the computer tens of times for two days and it never showed up in BIOS. I was quick to make a backup when it booted, that was the most important thing. It still works today (day after) but I don`t know for how long. The ssd has a "power on hours" for 7322 and "power on count" for 2275 times so its probably time to replace it. I googled "graphic card oven" today and it seem that some people had luck with this method. But I just had it in the oven from cold state until it reached 67 or 68C, and then took it out. I used a thermometer meant for cooking and put it on the ssd.

Kilobyte Kid

WOW,,, Thanks alot to you.

I have CT512M4SSD2. Three weeks ago, it starts to stop while I am working in Windows 8 and sometimes, it is not seen by bios. Two days ago, I emailed support, but no response till now. I was going to change it until I found you solution. At first, I did not believe it will help. Then, I tried it and it was perfect.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Bit Baby

This issue just popped up for me 4 hours ago. Found this thread, went into bios mode, and simply waited until the SSD stopped making little beeping noises (about 15 mins). It's almost as if it were charging or something... Restarted the laptop and back in business! Updated to the latest firmware, hopefully it's good to go from here.