How do I test my MX100? How do I wipe it?

Kilobyte Kid

How do I test my MX100? How do I wipe it?

Hello, I am new here, so forgive me if make any mistakes posting here....

I am using a „Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 ATA Device“, MU02 installed, updated in Jan with the Crucial software.

For several days I keep having more and more changes,and malfunctioning of installed softwares, beginning with the display, some softwares, even add-ons…

First I wnat to test it. How can I test the SSD?

If nothing else helps, I will have to re-install Win 7.

I would like to do a clean install on an empty SSD, how do I wipe it? Is this download tool still up to date, as it is from 2011?

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/SSD-Tool-free-space-trimmer/m-p/51300#M15880

Are there somewhere clear instructions on how to do this all, I mean not so obvious things that have to be watched out for?

I guess while re-installing Win 7 on the SSD, I simply disconnect the SATA cable from the HDD in the computer, which I use for storage?

Anything else I should nknow?

Thanks, RD

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: How do I test my MX100? How do I wipe it?

Hi rossdorn,

In general you can test the SSD the same way as you could test HDD. You can run chkdsk command or simple 'Error Scan' with HD Tune.

You can view SMART attributes and health overview with Crucial Storage Executive or with CrystalDiskInfo. You can also use GSmartControl in order to run self-tests or view additional information about SMART Errors logged.

But what do you mean by your issue description 'For several days I keep having more and more changes,and malfunctioning of installed softwares, beginning with the display, some softwares, even add-ons…'? Malware/virus perhaps? If you suspect malware or virus many of them can be removed with antiviruses and malware hunting programs.

In order to wipe the drive you can use Storage Executive and its 'Sanitize Drive' option, or  secure erase with PartedMagic. Nice video guide can be found here. Note you should backup your data first.

And yes, while re-installing Win 7 on the SSD you should disconnect other HDDs/SSDs.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hello Bogdan,

thanks for your answer. I used HD tune and could find no problem, watched the PartedMagic video and learned. If I want to clean install Win 7 again, I will use it.

I have of course used all AV possibilities available, befor asking here...

The one real Problem I have is, that the picture on the Acer x223w display has been moved to the left, about 5cms and on the right side is a 5cms wide black stripe. But only when it is set to its native resolution of 1680x1050, which is how it has been working for the last six years.

Now it works properly, with the picture centered if set to a resolution of 1600x1200, which is less sharp....

Kilobyte Kid

you can "wipe" your SSD using the Crucial tool StorageExecutiveClient though I think it might not be needed: have you cleaned all TEMP-files, including  temporaryInternetFiles?

Kilobyte Kid

I have not even begun yet, as the real problem is another one. And I always do a complete clean install on a wiped and formatted disc.

But once I decide to re-install Win 7 (which might still be the cause of the actual problem), I want to already know, how to... I never did it on the SSD, which I added 9 months ago. Having read of several problems people have with the SSD I wanted to make sure, that it is not the cause of my problem, which the HD Tune showed....

Thank you for your help.