How to update M4 SSD firmware for Mac Os X users.

Kilobyte Kid

How to update M4 SSD firmware for Mac Os X users.

Posting this here because clearly the other people on the board were more saavy than I, and didn't need the instructions.

Only took me 4 tries to burn the image!!!!  Fortunately CD-ROMS are cheap.

First, go to the download page:

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Download the relevant firmware.

Put a blank CD-ROM in the optical drive.

Then, go to your applications folder and pick Utilities.

From here choose Disk Utility.

Click on the .iso file that should be listed.  (In my case M4_0001to0002.iso)

OK, now click burn (look for the Nuclear symbol) and let it run.  It should choose the blank CD by default as the destination.

When this is complete, reboot your Mac and when the grey screen comes up for the reboot (after it goes black), press and hold option.  You should hear the optical drive whirring away.  Give it 10 seconds or so, and you will see a CD-ROM appear.  Click on this, and let it boot from here.

If you have a laptop, all you will need to do is type yes when it prompts you.  When it's done, reboot your mac with the power button.

All done.  Smiley Happy

47 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: How to update M4 SSD firmware for Mac Os X users.

Hi DMisita,

Thank you for posting your findings and I hope some other users in the forum find your guide helpful!

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I followed this advice  and can get it to boot from the cd, type in the 'yes' then it says "Preparation Stage...." and nothing else happens, any advice please?

Bit Baby

anyone can tip me how to do it on a MB with no optical drive (replaced it with a second SSD)

I'm having serious problems (the 30 sec. freeze issue) with the two M4's I have and I need to update them.

thanks! 

Kilobyte Kid

Sadly my MacPro will not boot from the CD to get my firmware updated. 

I'm having problems booting to this 256GB M4 SSD that has Rev 0002 ... I'm trying to load Rev 0009 on it but so far no luck.

The problem is that under Bootcamp (holding down option at MacPro boot) it sees the drive as "Windows" (I clone my other drive with Casper 7.0) and when I select it, it goes thru the standard process but stops with a blinking cursor in the upper left of screen ... just stays there for hours.  Doesn't get to even trying to load my Windows OS.

So I read about problems with this Crucial SSD and booting ... apparently Rev 0009 might fix the boot problem. 

So I go thru the instructions to create a Boot CD from the downloaded ISO.  Reboot my MacPro and see the CD (holding down option) listed as "Windows", select the CD ... then I get a message saying loading image.... and then the page fills up with "Invalid Instruction" and a bunch of 4 digit sets streaming across the screen repeating "Invalid Instruction".

My hunch is that the bootable CD is not compatible with older Intel MacPro (1,1 - Sept 2006) that has a EFI32 ??

Any hints on how I can get this SSD updated from Rev 0002 to 0009?

FYI, this is ONLY a boot problem, I've successfully formatted this M4 SSD with NTFS and copied files to/from it and as I said earlier I have clone my Windows HD to this SSD without issue and even validated.  So the drive itself appears to be fine, but I just can't boot to it on my MacPro.  MacPro will see the clone drive, but when I select it ... after a few seconds I just get the blinking cursor in the upper left.

Thanks, Rob.

Kilobyte Kid

Solved my firmware update issue by using a different PC (aka not my MacPro) ... got the M4 SSD updated to rev 0009.

Sadly it has not solved my boot problem ... still can't boot to this M4 SSD under bootcamp.  Ugh!

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the tip!  Not sure if it resolved any of the issues I've been having with Lion, but it sure seems a lot snappier than with Rev 0001.

Rick

Kilobyte Kid

section 4.c of the install guide: http://www.crucial.com/firmware/m4/0009/ProductFlyer-letter_m4-firmware0009_08-11.pdf

advises to check the SATA mode.

Anyone know how to do this, given Mac's have no BIOS?

Kilobyte Kid

Anyone got a solution for my problem above at all? I can boot my iMac from the CD I made, it detects the SSD, I can start the update process but it just sits at "Preparation Stage" and nothing else happens.

Bit Baby

This worked for me - I was not expecting it to.

New MacPro hexacore.

You can go to Disk Utility BEFORE inserting  a blank CDR. Click Burn in Disk Utility. You must find the .ISO file, which you must have previously unzipped after the donwload as stated above. Then Disk Utility will prompt you for a blank CDR. Don't use a DVDR. It's an ISO file so  donlt think a DVD would work.

I have the SSD drive installed in the first internal bay of the Mac. This is possibly important. I had to type yes twice, and then it reported success after a short but measurable time. The Option key is the on with "alt" written on it, not the one with "cmd" written on it.

I shut down rather than re-started. At boot up, quickly reach for and hold that "alt" key until you get a graphic image of disk choices. Use arrow keys to select the optical disk. Press return and wait.

Type yes all lower case until you get success.

Then held power button down until the machine shut off. Reboot, and:

System Profile now reads:

M4-CT512M4SSD2:

Capacity:512.11 GB (512,110,190,592 bytes)

Model:M4-CT512M4SSD2                          

Revision:0009    

Serial Number:000000001116030635AB

Native Command Queuing:Yes

Queue Depth:32

Removable Media:No

Detachable Drive:No

BSD Name:disk2

Medium TypeSmiley Frustratedolid State

TRIM Support:No

Bay Name:Bay 2

Partition Map Type:GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status:Verified

Volumes:

Capacity:209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

Writable:Yes

BSD Name:disk2s1

System:

Capacity:511.77 GB (511,766,216,704 bytes)

Available:396.9 GB (396,896,284,672 bytes)

Writable:Yes

File System:Journaled HFS+

BSD Name:disk2s2

Mount Point:/