Lenovo Y70 SSD Upgrade (cloning window+recovery partition)

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Lenovo Y70 SSD Upgrade (cloning window+recovery partition)

Hi. I will be buying a Lenovo Y70 with a Hybrid HDD (1tb hdd+8gb ssd) and intend to upgrade it to a Crucial 512gb SSD.

I want to clone the Windows Partition and the Recovery partition (so that it works just like the original HDD and will let me do a factory reset if necessary).

I intend to use Acronis True Image 2015 to do this (I haven't bought it yet) so I contacted Acronis and asked them if this is possible and they said that it is possible (and that True Image will create the paritions automatically) as long as the sector sizes are the same on both drives.

Can anyone help me out with this. I don't know how to find out whether the sector sizes are the same (google doesn't seem to be much help so far). I have managed to find out that the Lenovo Y70 tested by "Notebook Check" had a "1 TB Western Digital WD10S21X, which can be replaced or upgraded with another 7 mm 2.5-inch SATA drive by the end-user if required."

Will the Crucial 512gb SSD have the same sector sizes?

Thanks WW

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Lenovo Y70 SSD Upgrade (cloning window+recovery partition)

I think Acronis comes with the drive (MX100) anyway?  (Although in 2014 form)

If not, you can use this for free: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks, it's useful to know that acronis comes with the ssd. Do you know if the sector sizes of the crucial Ssd and the WD sshd are the same?
JEDEC Jedi

Truth be told, life is quite complicated on that front!

Not long ago, all drives were 512byte sector for backwards compatibility with floppy disks of all things.  In the future, they'll have 4k sectors.

Right now the SSD's are 'advanced format' drives and they have 4k sectors but emulate 512byte sectors for backwards compatibility - so it's kinda both!  I can't find what sector size your hard drive is.

One or two users have reported an error to that effect but there haven't been anything like enough posts on here to suggest there's a widespread issue with sector sizes so I would imagine it works in most cases.  It certainly did last time I did a clone (though i didn't use Acronis).

ref: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

ThanlsSmiley Happy