M4 Alignment Question

Kilobyte Kid

M4 Alignment Question

I have an M4 that needs to be aligned. I would like to do this without reinstalling any data, it has W7 Home Premium and some other stuff on it. 30.6G used space, 28.9G free space. 

Before I buy it I want to know can Paragon Alignment Tool 3.0 do this? It sounds like it can but I'd like to hear it from somebody that knows for sure. Thanks  

Mobo: ASUS M5A88V-EVO (latest BIOS ver 1001)

SSD: M4-CT064M4SSD2 (firmware 0309)

Steve

9 Replies
DIMMented

Re: M4 Alignment Question

Several people on here have used that tool with good results . I thought you might be able to do it with the free trial.

RIVE X79 with 3960x
3 x EVGA 580 HC2
16 GB Gskills 2133
2 x Plextor M3P 128 gb
2 x M4 128 GB in R0
1 x M4 128GB storage
Thermaltake 1200W PSU x 2
Kilobyte Kid

There doesn't appear to be a trial version of that program available on their web site. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/partition-alignment/eshop.html?affChecked=1 Looking through the older posts there was a free download offered in June 2010. I would use a trial version if there is one somewhere.

My main concern is that it will actually align an SSD without data loss, having to reimage, or figuring the offset. I guess I'm hoping to find a mostly "**bleep** proof" way to accomplish it.

JEDEC Jedi

@DooRules wrote:

Several people on here have used that tool with good results . I thought you might be able to do it with the free trial.

There is no free trial of it, they just gave it away free early on - probably to raise awareness of the program.  A permanent free trial of a program that you'll only use once would be suicidal business sense. Smiley Very Happy

@cmmtch wrote:

My main concern is that it will actually align an SSD without data loss, having to reimage, or figuring the offset. I guess I'm hoping to find a mostly "**bleep** proof" way to accomplish it.

I've never used it but that's basically it's sole purpose for being so I'd hope it can do it. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Memory Hawg

I grabbed a copy for testing while it was free, and yes, it does work properly and does not mess with your data.

There is also a method linked here if you are skilled enough to do that, instead of spending your $$

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Re-alignment-without-data-loss/td-p/4829

Kilobyte Kid

I bought and downloaded it earlier today, it worked fine, took about 10 mins with a couple reboots along the way for an M4 64G with 30G used space. Could have went with the method you linked to, I have the skill to do something like that but I wanted to get this done with as little time and effort possible. And now I have it if/when I replace my other HD, 10 years old still going strong.

We all have to value our time and I've spent far too much time getting the M4 updated to FW0309 (most likely was cockpit error on my part, the drive works great). Another time maybe I would have done it but $30 isn't too bad and I feel I got value for my $30.

Should be pretty much done now, yesterday did the reg tweak to allow for AHCI then set up BIOS for it, today aligned it so we're good to go Smiley Happy

I owe a debt of gratitude to the helpers on the forum (big round of applause Smiley Very Happy) thanks for your replies to my posts.

P.S. When I was starting the Paragon App it also listed my mechanical drive (Maxtor 120G) as an alignment choice, is there any reason at all to align a mechanical drive? 

Silicon Sultan

not unless it was designed to be. some newer hdd are now in line for alignment. might bork some older hdd/os partitions (i know some have had issues having an aligned xp partition on some drives...weird)

Memory Hawg

Great to hear you didn't run into any issues with it!

Post back anytime if you need more help with anything!   And just so you know, it's MUCH easier to align a drive before you install, in case you are worried about future setups and installs.  If you ever need to know how let us know!

Kilobyte Kid

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition is free and does exactly the same job as the Paragon alignment tool (in that one can re-align a partition without having to re-install the operating system and so forth et cetera). There is a Pro version for purchase or a free home version with a donate button for those who (like me) will probably only use it once. This is good business sense.

I used this myself after I migrated from XP PRO to WIn7 on a Crucial SSD and was left with the common alignment problem. The operation took around 10 minutes to complete including a reboot.

I can confirm that overall performance increased by at least 100% after re-alignment, with my SSD score jumping from 245 to 479.

Also, check that your SSD is operating in AHCI mode in BIOS, if it is in IDE mode it will be slower overall and no access to advanced features like TRIM. It will be necessary to enable AHCI SSD drivers in Windows before changing the BIOS setting to AHCI. Attempting to boot in AHCI mode without drivers enabled will result in a crash at boot-up.

Microsoft provide their own drivers for SSD/AHCI and a one-click tool to install/enable them, or you may find that your motherboard manufacturer supplies faster drivers which you should download and try. Using the recommended AMD South Bridge SATA Drivers from my Motherboard manufacturers website brought my AS SSD Benchmark score up from 479 to 495. A modest increase in overall speed, but... hey, I'll take it!  Smiley LOL

AS SSD Benchmark is a free download and is very useful for speed testing and problem recognition. If there is red text stating '31k bad' in that tools report, then you have the common alignment problem.

I hope this is of use to others who may be experiencing the same problems that I had with their otherwise amazing SSD   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Yeah that's the way I recommend around here these days.  This is an old thread from back before Partition Wizard had that feature. Smiley Happy  Paragon used to be the only way if you didn't fancy a re-install.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?