M500 480 GB Win 8.1 lockup after clone

Kilobyte Kid

M500 480 GB Win 8.1 lockup after clone

I have tried cloning a smaller Win 8.1 SSD boot disk to my new M500 using Acronis True Image several times.  Windows starts but then locks up.  Running Gigabyte board with I5.  Cloned via USB then SATA with the same results.  

M500 is already at latest firmware.  Do I need other drivers or is their better cloning software?  Too much invested in my desktop config to do a clean OS install.

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: M500 480 GB Win 8.1 lockup after clone

Do you have Intels Rapid Storage sata drivers installed for your motherboard?  If so, try updating them on your hard drive: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=%22Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technolog...

and then re-clone the updated system to your SSD.  Older versions of the driver don't seem to get on well with advanced format drives (such as the M500) and it seems to create all sorts of strange behaviour on affected systems.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the reply but I don't believe I am running Rapid Storage.  Not using RAID.  Using Intel Series/C216 SATA AHCI Controller - 1E02.  Would it be worthwhile to install the Rapid Storage since I don't plan to use raid?  

There are some later drivers from Gigabyte that I will install.

JEDEC Jedi

It has a RAID in its name but it works with both modes AHCI and RAID. If you will be able to install it without any strange popups or warnings then I would probably say that that particular version is compatible with your hardware and it should work well.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I updated the drivers from Gigabyte without installing the Intel Rapid  Storage drivers and then re-cloned.  The new clone has been working without any hangs so far (about an hour).  So thanks for pointing me to the drivers.  I will look into the Rapid Storage once I am sure it is stablized.

The M500 response time seems to be much faster than the Ocz Vertex 250 that was replaced.  The Ocz is going into a old notebook eventually.