M500 480GB - OS X installation fail (unable to read from SSD?)

Kilobyte Kid

M500 480GB - OS X installation fail (unable to read from SSD?)

I recently fitted an M500 480GB in my late 2011 MacBook Pro. I put it in a caddy in the optical bay enclosure.

The fitting was fine. However, I've been unable to install OS X (Mavericks) on it - everything I've tried (and I've tried to install OS X 4 times now in different ways) has failed at some point in the installation process, usually after many, many hours of very slow progress.

In order to try and pin down the issue I installed an app called Trim Enabler and ran their benchmarking tool, and although the write speed was good the read speed showed as zero!

This must be what's causing the problem, but I have no idea what might be causing it? Can anyone help? Is this a hardware failure of the drive itself, a problem with the caddy in the optical enclosure, firmwear, OS X Mavericks, incompatibility with Apple products?...

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

EDIT: I can browse the drive in the Finder, and copy to, and delete items on it.

5 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: M500 480GB - OS X installation fail (unable to read from SSD?)

UPDATE:

I tried installing the OS from a friends USB stick that he knows works because he uses it for his own Macs. Same error...

Below are some lines from the log output during the install (I've just copied a few bits that flag errors) - it means nothing to me Smiley Wink

-----

Mar 25 20:55:02 mattbaileysmbp.home OSInstaller[397]: warning, could not bind /Volumes/Untitled/.OSInstallSandbox-tmp/Root/System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PDFKit.framework/Versions/A/PDFKit because can't open file, errno=-22

Mar 25 21:06:42 mattbaileysmbp.home OSInstaller[397]: PackageKit: *** Couldn't posix_spawn: error 8
Mar 25 21:06:42 mattbaileysmbp.home OSInstaller[397]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “BSD.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fa304bfb590 {NSFilePath=preinstall, NSURL=BSD.pkg -- file://localhost/Volumes/Mac%20OS%20X%20Install%20DVD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.BSD, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “BSD.pkg”.} {
NSFilePath = preinstall;
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cBSD.pkg\U201d.";
NSURL = "BSD.pkg -- file://localhost/Volumes/Mac%20OS%20X%20Install%20DVD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg";
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.apple.pkg.BSD";
}

Mar 25 21:06:42 mattbaileysmbp.home OSInstaller[397]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “BSD.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fa304bfb590 {NSFilePath=preinstall, NSURL=BSD.pkg -- file://localhost/Volumes/Mac%20OS%20X%20Install%20DVD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.BSD, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “BSD.pkg”.}
Mar 25 21:06:42 mattbaileysmbp.home OSInstaller[397]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

-----

When I restarted my Mac from the main HD I got the following message about the disk "Untitled" ("Untitled" being the name of the SSD):

"OS X Can't repair the disk "Untitled."

You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can."

Clearly there is an issue with writing files to the SSD (although interestingly not reading from it). Does anyone think this would indicate a hardware issue with the drive itself (in which case I will return it for a replacement), or something else?...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

JEDEC Jedi

Try to read out SMART data of the drive and post it here please, just hide drive's serial number.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks Bogdan.

Since I posted my earlier message I decided I would try putting the SSD in the main HDD enclosure rather than in the caddy in the optical bay enclosure, and...

IT WORKED! OS X successfully installed in about 30 mins, boots up in a few seconds, simply brilliant!

I still don't know what the problem is with the optical enclosure is though - whether it's the SATA lead, the caddy or something else? I'm going to put my old HDD in there and see what happens, maybe it will have the same problems? My data is backed up though so I don't mind trying it out.

A strange one, but it has a happy ending... Smiley Happy

JEDEC Jedi

@mattbailey wrote:

I recently fitted an M500 480GB in my late 2011 MacBook Pro. I put it in a caddy in the optical bay enclosure.

How could I have missed that Smiley LOL Thanks for an update, it may be helpful for someone else with similar issue. I believe It happens quite often that fast SATA 3 SSDs could have issues in those optical bays.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

No problem. As you say, it might be useful for other people to know.

As it happens I've now fitted the old HDD in the optical bay. So far I'm not getting any errors when I boot up and Disk Utilities hasn't found any issues either, but only time will tell if it's really ok...