M500 960GB usually loss response after a long idle in WINDOWS 8.1

Kilobyte Kid

M500 960GB usually loss response after a long idle in WINDOWS 8.1

It has happened many times already, everytime when I left this computer a long time (usually one night), and when I came back to use it, this issue will come out. The symtom is the software which has operate already (like browser) will still working, but if I try to open a new task like open the file explorer, it won't has any response or it might be, but it will takes about 1 minute to open it, the only way to solve it is just restart the computer. For my first estimate, I think it's the problem of M500's economy function bug. I didn't install any intel rapid technology driver, the model is ACHI and the driver is iastora, the firmware is MU03.

11 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: M500 960GB usually loss response after a long idle in WINDOWS 8.1

iastora *is* Intels rapid storage tech driver.  The MS one is msahci.  You could try switching to that or try a newer version of intel driver - especilaly if you haven't installed it yourself and it's just using a really old one built into Windows.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Yes, I did it. And now I will wait for the result and I will post the result after few days to let people know it's work or not. And there is one fact is interest that the performance of intel driver (iastora)and Microsoft driver (storachi)is really close. iastora has a little stronger in reading, storachi is good at writing. Here is the picture, I test them in one disk today. 1{VIU7PYV2K3Z~2FI]@GP5A.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

According to use in Msahci driver for about 5 days, the problem never happened again, so if you are using the M500, please use Msachi driver, it's much more stable than using RST intel driver. And the performence is as good as RST

JEDEC Jedi

Af far as I have seen it up to date it really depends on the system. Some users will find MSAHCI driver better, some other may find Intel RST driver more reliable.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Yeah, and even then, the driver version matters to some people.  You simply can't make the blanket statement that everyone should use x sata driver unfortunately.  Life would be a lot easier if we could!

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

In my experience the Intel driver provided for the Thinkpad W520 hardware a couple years back was unstable at high IO loads, so I reverted to the Microsoft one. I recently read some good thing about the current Intel release, so I updated to it, tested and it passed all the tests I threw at it.

Kilobyte Kid

Bad news.... Last night when I was using the computer, the system frozen again... It's like I could move my mouse, but I couldn't click anything! After few second, it recoveried. But the problem that I said in the first came again. I can't click anyting or it would show up after 1 minute... What's the problem??? Is it because of the WIN8.1?

JEDEC Jedi

Just to clarify -  you said that you didn't install any intel rapid technology driver, but the iastora driver has been reported by AS SSD Benchmark. That iastor driver could have been installed with a CD from your motherboard's manufacturer, was that so? Then you said that you switched to stock MS storahci driver to test it.

The question is did you try latest Intel RST driver? I am little confused by the description that could mean that you have had some older version of Intel's driver. Some of them were not so good for some users that is why I am asking about newest revisions.

Also please post the exact model of your motherboard/laptop and if you would like that you could post SMART data of the drive too (just please hide drive's serial number before posting the data). You can review SMART data with CrystalDiskInfo with "Edit" -> "Copy" option (just be careful to deny any ads during installation).

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Yes, I made a mistake when I post this thread, but I still unistall it, you can see it on the third floor, I posted both pictures. And I didn't install the RST from the CD, I really sure I installed the newest version when I first got this SSD. And when I realized that I was using RST driver, I unistalled it and then I used storachi driver, but the problem is still exist. Do you mean that I might have two driver in my disk? The RST and storachi? How can I check it. By the way, I have installed back to WIN8 already, I really can't take it anymore... I will follow this problem in this thread to report whether this problem solved or not.