M500 SSD Not Recognized by Windows, Partioning Software or Acronis True Image

Kilobyte Kid

M500 SSD Not Recognized by Windows, Partioning Software or Acronis True Image

I did something to mess up my new M500 480GB SSD.  When I first attached it to system via external USB 3 enclosure, it was recognized by Windows Disk Management, partioning software and Acronis True Image.  I partioned the disk and attempted to restore an Acronis OS backup from my current boot disk to the SSD.  I think this was the mistake.  I should have used the clone disk function.  The restore failed (just hung with disk light flashing and never showed any progress) so I cancelled it.  Now the disk is not recognized at all.  I just want to erase everything and start over as if it were a blank SSD.  No can do as nothing recognizes it. 

What can I do to recover from this?  Since Crucial has no management software for their SSDs, there is no Secure Erase function I can use to wipe this disk.

4 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: M500 SSD Not Recognized by Windows, Partioning Software or Acronis True Image

Tried the Power Cycle procedure just in case; although, with this drive it is not supposed to be needed as it has capacitors which store enough power to write data even in event of a sudden power loss which did not occur anyway.

No go - drive still not recognized.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: M500 SSD Not Recognized by Windows, Partioning Software or Acronis True Image

I fixed it. 

Attached drive to usb3 port on laptop; entered BIOS on boot, Checked disk settings; exited BIOS; rebooted; drive was now found in Windows Disk Management; ran Acronis Clone Disk; everything works great now

Dual Channel Surfer

Re: M500 SSD Not Recognized by Windows, Partitioning Software or Acronis True Image

I don't think these capacitors are any guarantee that there will be no problems with sudden power loss, but they should at least reduce the problems.

Secure erase is part of ATA command set and you can't do it over USB.

It needs proper SATA interface.

You don't need any special vendor made software for secure erase. In Linux there is the hdparm command which can do secure erase and there is a secure erase function in parted magic, but as mentioned, you should connect the SSD via SATA interface. Perhaps eSATA will be o.k. but not USB.

EDIT: it looks like you were writing your reply at the same time as me and you got it going o.k. without needing secure erase - good.

Tags (1)
Kilobyte Kid

Re: M500 SSD Not Recognized by Windows, Partitioning Software or Acronis True Image

I don't really know what fixed it, but, entering the BIOS with drive attached  via USB3 did the trick. Had that not worked, I would have placed it in the laptop drive bay with the SATA3 connection.  SSD was not recognized by Windows diskpart, Parted Magic or any other pationing tool I tried.  After I played around in the BIOS, the disk was recognized with the first partition unformatted so, something modified that first partion which was all I needed to get the cloning procedure done correctly.