M500 only visible in Windows 8 on every second boot

Kilobyte Kid

M500 only visible in Windows 8 on every second boot

I have a 1Tb M500 (CT960M500SSD1) with firmware MU03 in my Lenovo Thinkpad T520 (Windows 8 Pro 64-bit).  The drive is installed as a second drive which contains data only, not the OS.

The drive is only visible in Windows every other time I start Windows or every other time the PC wakes from Sleep.  It is always visible if I Restart Windows. My temporary solution is to turn off 'Fast Start-up' in Power Options (which is the same as Restarting at every boot) and not to use Sleep.  I hope this description is clear.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or if there is a solution.

Many thanks

Richard

3 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: M500 only visible in Windows 8 on every second boot

RichardC,

Turning off "fast startup" is fine to temporarily fix your issue.  FYI, not related but so GC(Garbage Collection) can run make sure you set SSD's to "Never" turn off, under "Hard disk" in "advanced power settings".  Is the System Disk also an SSD or HDD?  In the laptop BIOS, are you set as IDE or AHCI?  Are you using MS AHCI driver or Intel RST driver for Sata?  With fast startup turned on and when your M500 is not visible in Windows Explorer, have you looked in "Disk Management" to see if the M500 is listed there?  Sorry, just trying to get more info from you, to help me troubleshoot.

Maybe another user can help with this.  I think the Hibernation file is used for fast startup.  Is it possible the Hibernation file is corrupt?  What happens after you hibernate your laptop, is the M500 visible in Windows Explorer upon waking?

Try running  sfc /scannow  from a command prompt with admin rights.

Don

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks Don,

Both drives are SSDs.

I've tried all your ideas and everything seems ok.  BUT, I tried swapping the M500 for an HDD and I have the same problem.  So it is nothing to do with the M500.  I guess that now I have to start looking for problems with the second drive bay.

Thanks for all your help and for the idea of setting both SSDs to 'never turn off'.

Richard

JEDEC Jedi

As front suggested the first steps I would take would be to check for BIOS update and install newest Intel RST driver.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?