M550 mSATA 256 SSD Temperatures

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

M550 mSATA 256 SSD Temperatures

Hello,
I've recently purchased an m550 msata 256gb SSD and installed it on my Y580 (lenovo laptop). It is now the primary drive (the old sata hdd still exists). By the way, I am running Windows 7 x64.

As it is a new purchase, I decided to monitor temperatures, however I think I am seeing abnormal values. Reading across forums (incl. this one), I found that some other people had the same issue however once they enabled DIPM for their ssd (e.g. this link), their temperatures dropped significantly (e.g. from 60s to 40s)

I initially started out as 58 (after windows installation), and went to 63 and stayed there.
Upon bootup, it starts out as ~35, and then goes to 63 and stays there.

Hence, I enabled DIPM and unfortunately, I cannot see any changes yet.. (still 63)

Although the operating temperature range is 0-70, I don't think having a continuous 62-64 degrees celcius (~143-145 F) is good for my drive 24/7 in the long run. 

What do you guys think? Anybody have other methods to lower their temperature?

Currently, my laptop sits on a cooler master U2 (w/o fans), and cpu temps are around 47-53.
My sata hdd temp is around 51-53

EDIT: So i've finally reached 70 degrees..(it was during gaming tho)

EDIT2: I tried installing intel rapid storage technology and it seemed to have magically lower my number by 10 degrees.
Now it sits around 49-53.

Thanks

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: M550 mSATA 256 SSD Temperatures

@joecop wrote:

EDIT2: I tried installing intel rapid storage technology and it seemed to have magically lower my number by 10 degrees.

Now it sits around 49-53.

Hi joecop,

Thanks for letting us know! 49-53 sounds quite okay I believe, I just think that thermal management in Y580's mSATA slot is not too good. The mSATA compartment is all covered by plastic bottom cover with no holes the heat could dissipate through.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: M550 mSATA 256 SSD Temperatures

That is true. I'm going to start a new thread on a new BSOD that occurred with the ssd.