MX100 Hardware Encryption BitLocker

Kilobyte Kid

MX100 Hardware Encryption BitLocker

I can't get it working on Windows 8.1 x64 with P8P67 motherboard. I installed Windows in UEFI mode and even tested it with a small program to be sure SSD supports eDrive and it does! Still it wants to use software encryption. Default BIOS on this motherboard is 2.00.1201 version 2010 and I've upgraded it to 2.10.1208 version 2011 so UEFI 2.3.1 shouldnt be the problem.

The drive must be in an uninitialized state.
The drive must be in a security inactive state.
The computer must be UEFI 2.3.1 based and have the EFI_STORAGE_SECURITY_COMMAND_PROTOCOL defined. (This protocol is used to allow programs running in the EFI boot services environment to send security protocol commands to the drive).
The computer must have the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled in UEFI.
The computer must always boot natively from UEFI.

There is no way to configure CSM and Secure Boot and I have no clue what "uninitialized state" and "security inactive state" means.

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: MX100 Hardware Encryption BitLocker

Hi Simon1,

Thanks for your post.  I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with BitLocker. 

You said in your comments that you can't get it working.  Do you get a message saying it's not working?  Is there any error messages or messages coming up at all when you're trying to get it working on your system.

I don't see any issues right away with why your system is not compatible.  We do have a check list to confirm a system is compatible.  If you could have a look through the following steps to see if your system is compatible that would be great.

Windows 8 BitLocker will use this hardware encryption when you apply a password in Windows, providing the following requirements are met:
•The boot order must be set to start first from the SSD (not the USB or CD drives)

•Make sure UEFI boot is enabled and you have a UEFI enabled Windows 8 installed

•The system needs to support UEFI 2.3.1

•BitLocker only supports TPM version 1.2 and 2.0 (or newer). In addition, you must use a Microsoft-provided TPM driver
(Please note, BitLocker can also work without a TPM, it will need a USB flash drive to set the password instead then)

•The computer must boot natively from UEFI.

•Dynamic discs are not supported by BitLocker

•The SSD must have two partitions (drives with Windows installed generally do anyway) and the main partition to be encrypted must be NTFS

•Ensure Secure Boot is disabled in the UEFI.
The M500 supports either ATA Security (like Secure Boot) or TCG Opal (which is needed for SED) but not both.

•The computer must have the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled in UEFI.

Microsoft Technet Support - BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

If you have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask and I would be more than happy to help.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?