MX200, Windows Experience Index and other qureies.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

MX200, Windows Experience Index and other qureies.

I've just installed a 250Mb MX200 into my Desktop PC (Windows 7 64-bit) and cloned my C: to it. Everything seems to be working really well.

1. The "problem" is that I can't renew the Windows Experience Index; when I try to renew it, it fails when trying to measure the primary hard disk (MX200) transfer rate. My only real concern here is whether to worry about it or not! After all, its only some measure of performance and none of the other measures are likely to have changed.

2. I think my concern is to know whether or not the MX200 is working in the most effiecient manner! How do I know? I've down loaded the AS SSD Benchmark; it recognises the MX200 with 232Gb (8032K BAD), quotes "msahci - OK".

3. If I upgrade to Windows 10 at the end of July, should I let it upgrade on the SSD or start again with a fresh installation?

Many thanks for any help available.

David

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX200, Windows Experience Index and other qureies.

1) WEI is rubbish and MS ditched it in 8

2) The drive may be misaligned (though sometimes AS is wrong)

Install this: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

right click the partition and click align

3) A clean install won't be possible as such.  You will be forced to upgrade and then will have the option of using recovery to clean install when you need to.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. Will ignore WEI in future!

2. Downloaded and installed Partition Wizard. Selected the MX200 drive and clicked "Align All Partitions" and got message back that aligning wasn't necessary as all partitions were already aligned.

3.Reran AS again anyway and got same results.

Partition Wizard shows the MX200 as having an unallocated region of 8Mb at the front.

To clone the original HDD C: drive, I downloaded AcronisTrue Image HD but I couldn't install it as I use ATI Home 2016 (beta version) and it wanted it uninstalling first.

Not sure why(?) but instead of using ATIH 2016 to clone the HDD, I used EaseUS Partition Master 10.5 (free version).

As I've not done anything drastic on the SSD compared to the original HDD, I'm considering starting again. (??)

Any more advice gratefully received.

David

JEDEC Jedi

Sounds fine to me.  As I said, AS is sometimes wrong.  If you need a decider, I wrote one myself that checks alignment a while back: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/SSD-Tool-free-space-trimmer/m-p/51198

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I've completely started again. Wiped the MX200 (probably not necessary) and cloned the HDD C: to SSD C: using ATIH 2016 (beta).

No problems - everything is aligned, no bad sectors, etc.

One last question! Your tool reports "Write cache enabled". Is this wrong with SSDs? If so, how do I disable it?

Many thanks again.

David

JEDEC Jedi

No, you want that on.  It's definately a good thing.  Off is bad, which is why it checks.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Very many thanks. Good job I asked! Wasn't sure if it was information or a warning.

Could I ask one associated question?

I use ATI Home 2016 (beta - so will have upgrade or revert to 2015 in the near future). Crucial recommend ATI HD for which they supply a license. I would have had to uninstall ATIH before I could have used the recommendation (I tried).

In the end ATIH did the job and I wish I'd used it in the first place. But, is ATI HD better than ATIH, in your experience?

I find ATIH awkward if I need to delete any of the contents of their safe zone.

I shall go on the Acronis web site and try and discover the differences.

Thanks again.

PS. I suspect they're the same product in 2015 terms.  They now have ATI Home or ATI Backup with various levels of functionality depending on how much you want to spend. Thanks.

JEDEC Jedi

To be honest, I had no idea what ATI even was until the end of your post where you called it 'Acronis'. Smiley Very Happy

I'm not familiar with either product personally (I have an older transfer kit based around Apricorn) so I can't help there.

Want to be a Super User?