Mobile Rack + SSD's + HDD's

Kilobyte Kid

Mobile Rack + SSD's + HDD's

Hi,

I'm new to using SSD's but have been salivating over the thought of the day of solid state drives n THEY'RE HERE !!! and within reach although a bit pricy. I need to start w/ a 64G or 128. But deffinetly crucial. I've been building my own computers since...well ...the amd thunderbird slot chips and only the "memory experts" for me all the way, so who do you think would make the superior SSD. I think a long time maker of memory

I need advice/guidance;

In my system now is a HDD mobile rack in which I switch between 4 western digital  HDD's

1 for xp pro gaming,

1 for win 7 ultimate 64 for misc use,

1 that just died

1 win 7 ult 64 for church/web  work. These are SATA 3 trays/drives.

Could I put the new SSD in one of those trays and expect it to play well with HDD's also, or would I need the whole set-up to be for SSD's only ?

Can I swap SSD's like I do the HDD's ?

Thanks

6 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Mobile Rack + SSD's + HDD's

Yep, you will be fine with a SSD, there isn't really anything special you need to do. You shouldn't have any issues.

Silicon Sultan

if you can spring for the 120 drives, do it. i have mine in a supermirco backplane. (racks are the) best thing for sataIII ssds Smiley Wink

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the replies.

So if i fill 1 tray with the SSD and leave the other 3 trays with HDDs I can use them at will SSDs and HDDs without entering my BIOS everytime ?

Yeah I really would rather get the 128G m4.

Silicon Sultan

the ssd will appear to the os as a sata drive, and to win7 as an ssd (win7 will defeat defrag on the ssd, but to make sure, do a WEI run)

Kilobyte Kid

alright.  Forgive me if I seem a bit redundant but I don't have alot of money to throw around and getting the install right the first time is best.

I put the SSD in the tray and then into the rack then boot from the win 7 cd and install ?

Kilobyte Kid

nevermind, I got it. 

didn't expect it to be this simple, but that's one reason I like crucial.