My 3rd M4 is Corrupt Again(2nd RMA)

JEDEC Jedi

Re: My 3rd M4 Corrupted Again(2nd RMA)

It seems the drive recorded some errors for many attribuites:

01 - Tracks raw rate of media errors per MB of data over the SATA interface
05 - New failing sector count
AA - Tracks the number of blocks/pages utilized to replace bad blocks; based on specified NAND part/die
AB - Total number of NAND program failure events
AC - Total number of NAND erase failure events
BB - Tracks the number of uncorrectable media errors reported back to the host for all data access commands
C4 - New failing block count; each new failing block will be reallocated with a free block
CE - Number of NAND program status fails per MB of SATA data written

I do not know how to interpret this set of errors (producer would know I guess Smiley Wink) but I can tell you that my M4 shows "0" for all of them.

I would try the newest firmware anyway.

As far as I know in general we shouldn’t be too concerned with these errors when the drive itself works fine and with no problems. Some program failures and write errors do happen, but typically, they are compensated for by write-retries. We can always keep an eye on SMART values over time, and if one would notice a continuing trend that error counts continuing to grow over time, then there is a reason to be concerned I think. 

The problem is that from one side there are errors recorded for many attribuites and form the other side you have real issues with the drive.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks bogdan, but it seems that Firmware 070H has not fixed my m4 at all.  I'm getting the 0x7a BSOD(while gaming and browsing the internet) multiple times a day, and when the computer reboots the OS says no bootable media detected.  Then I have to go into BIOS and select to boot from the m4, which is the only drive in my laptop besides the DVD drive.  BlueScreenView shows crashes are caused by ntoskrnl.exe and volmgrx.sys.  I believe there are compatibility issues with the Marvell Controller in the M4 and certain chipsets.

Kilobyte Kid

I just went about a month without a bsod, but just received one an hour ago. The Win8 BSOD said that Critical_Process_Died and didn't log event in Event Viewer, but I know they have been bugcheck 0x7A in the past.  When I restarted it said "No Boot Device Detected" and wouldn't start until I took the SSD out of the laptop and then replaced and booted.  When Win8 finally started, there were several disk errors in the Event Viewer that stated "The IO operation at logical block address 126c9840 for Disk 0 was retried."(Each error had a different logical block address)  Then Win8 notified me that I had to reboot so that Check Disk could scan and repairs errors on the disk.  The errors were caused when the M4 "dropped out" and I've yet to find out if there also was some corruption. 

When it crashes it seems as if the M4 just disappears, because a few programs started to crash and I lost the taskbar(Probably because when the M4 failed, explorer.exe crashed).  Here is a shot of the SMART data after the BSOD.

M4_SMART_5-12-13.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

If i were you I would long time ago send it for replacement.

Kilobyte Kid

@sapsa wrote:

If I were you I would long time ago send it for replacement.

This is my 3rd M4 because I have RMA'd twice already?

JEDEC Jedi

@front360 wrote:

@sapsa wrote:

If I were you I would long time ago send it for replacement.

This is my 3rd M4 because I have RMA'd twice already?

Yeah but I'm afraid that doesn't much change the fact that you get regular issues with it and your SMART data implies that it's very broken.  You seem to have been incredibly unlucky. Smiley Sad

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

3rdM4_SMART_9-11-13.jpg