Need help with installing SSD in a Mid2012 i7 Macbook Pro 13"

Bit Baby

Need help with installing SSD in a Mid2012 i7 Macbook Pro 13"

I feel stupid at this point. I am running Yosemite on my Macbook Pro I can format and install Yosemite clean on any sata hd I have installed with out issue. When it comes to SSD's I have tried 3 brands and latest tonight was a Crucial MX200 250gb. Still no joy. I am using a known good USB flash drive with Yosemite to install. I tried booting going to disk utility and erase and partitioning the drive and I get disk verification errors and disk repair shows they are fixed but when I try to reverify disk the error reappears. So its a non ending loop. I tried cloning my current hd using super duper but both times I get a stop sign at boot up or a folder icon and it will not boot when SSB is installed. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Partion is in GUID I tried that still no joy. I am at a loss thinking I will not be able to use the SSD. Is there some majic I am missing here. The reason for going to a ssd I had a irrepairable 750gb hd that Mac seemed not to be able to fix nor would originally let me install yosemite due to disk error. I even got error suggesting to replace the HD.  Tonight I finally was able to erase the original hd and reinstall Yosemite on it but I really would like the benefits of a ssd. I had a samsung 500gb SSD I tried it worked for 1 week then I got the non stop spinning wheel at bootup and never could get it resolved and was told on another forum It was because the SSD was not compatible try crucial.....Any help or recommendations is appreciated.....

9 Replies
SODIMM Sherpa

Re: Need help with installing SSD in a Mid2012 i7 Macbook Pro 13"

JEDEC Jedi

Here's some apparently 'misleading' information for you: you don't need Trim. Smiley Wink

Garbage Collection will do the job fine during the drives idle time unless you are doing extremely write heavy tasks with no drive idle* time.  Like network monitoring or a heavily used database server or something.

Summit disagrees with this (as is his right) but I'm not convinced he should be misinforming other people!?  Summit, I wonder if perhaps your issue is around the understanding of the word '*subtitute* for trim'?  It's not a substitute in that it does the same job as trim.  You are correct there.  It's a substitute in that it achieves the same end goal of pre-erasing NAND to prevent write slow down.  I've run drives without trim for years. Have you?  What about all the people using Windows Vista and older? RAID?  Why do you think GC even exists? Smiley Happy

If you do want further discussion on this, it'd be a good idea to take it to a new thread (or your old one), rather than derail this one where the OP needs help on other matters.  Thanks for the help you did provide on the mac specific stuff though! Smiley Happy

*And I specifically mean drive idle, the computer doesn't have to be idle.  You just have to be using your computer in a way that the drive light is not permanently on if you do a lot of writing.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Dual Channel Surfer

I don't want to weigh in on the TRIM, vs no TRIM argument right now, but lack of TRIM isn't the reason you are having trouble installing to the SSD. Everyone installs with no TRIM. Some people (myself included) activate TRIM later.

But you should be able to get a working system with a Crucial and most well known SATA-3 SSD's. There isn't a lot of experience with the MX200 so far, but it uses the same Marvell controller chip as the M550 and MX100 which seem to work o.k. in most Mac SSD installations.

Since you had problems with the original HDD and at least one other SSD, you need to consider there might be a common problem. Perhaps a SATA cable, a power supply issue or even the main logic board.

Can you install to the SSD and have it running o.k. when it is in a USB is inside an external enclosure?

If the SSD runs o.k. in a USB enclosure, but not when connected to the internal SATA connector then that gives us a clue where the problem lies.

Bit Baby

OK I disconnected the original HD from the SATA put the SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure and it booted up fine no issues. So I assume the direction I need to take is find a compatible Macbook Pro SATA cable and or drivers. Am I correct?

By the way I reinserted the SSD into the Macbook before hooking it up via USB and still got the Folder Icon with the Question Mark

Dual Channel Surfer

@gunlocators wrote:

OK I disconnected the original HD from the SATA put the SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure and it booted up fine no issues. So I assume the direction I need to take is find a compatible Macbook Pro SATA cable and or drivers. Am I correct?

By the way I reinserted the SSD into the Macbook before hooking it up via USB and still got the Folder Icon with the Question Mark

Just to make sure I understand correct, the SSD didn't wotk when installed internally.

However it now works in a USB 3.0 enclosure.

But you put it back in the internal location and it didn't work again.

Yes, I think the next step is to try another SATA cable. The cable can look fine, but it can have some sort of minor damage leading to some shielding/impedance mismatch issue that makes it less reliable at SATA-III speeds. If you can't figure out which is the correct one, you might want to search/ask on www.ifixit.com where they have a lot of guides for Mac repairs.

One thing I should mention, is this SSD installed in the usual Hard Drive location?

Some people replace the Optical drive with an SSD and while it can work that way, depending on the model, there appear to be more problems doing it like that. Apple never intended a fast SATA-III SSD to be installed there.

But assuming it's in the standard Hard Drive location, try a new SATA cable as your next step.

SODIMM Sherpa

Bit Baby

I appreciate everyones help I went on vacation returned to a new Mac Sata cable for my Mac... Guess what the Macbook fired right up with the new SSD and New SATA. Removed and reinstalled old SATA and it would not boot up. Reinstalled new SATA it fires right up and super fast. So in my case I think the SATA cable was the issue matter of fact it did play some role for sure... For ither people having simular issues a $40 cable is worth a try. I am on my Macbook now with my new SSD.....

SODIMM Sherpa

Bit Baby

470.7 write 504.6 Read Speed according to black majic