P55A-UD4 and Crucial M4

Kilobyte Kid

P55A-UD4 and Crucial M4

Hello,

im currently using Intel X25-V 40GB and im condidering buying a new SSD, probably Crucial M4. However, will I fully benefir from its' speed on my motherboard - Gigabyte P55A-UD4? I know it uses SATA3, but the Marvell 9128 Controller is considered bad, yes? 

In case I decide to stick with my current SSD, shoud I plug it to SATA2 instead of SATA3 Marvell controller?

2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: P55A-UD4 and Crucial M4

Hi crun,

To get the benefit of the SATA3 speeds the M4 is capable of, you would need to connect it to your Marvell 9128 SATA3 port, otherwise you would only achieve SATA2 speeds.  You also need to make sure your SATA cable can transfer SATA3 speeds.  Please also note the following information from the manufacturer on this board:

Marvell 9128 chip:

1. 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
  2. Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1

* SATA3 RAID 0 4x and SATA3 2x performance are maximum theoretical values. Actual performance may vary by system configuration.
* SATA3 SSDs are not recommended for use in RAID 0 mode on Marvell SE9128 ports.

Depending on the spec of your original SSD, you may not notice any performance increase by connecting it to the SATA3 port (i.e. it only supports SATA2) so you would be as well keeping it connected to a SATA2 connector.

Other users with the same board may be able to share their experiences & tips on the best set up they've found.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
JEDEC Jedi

Re: P55A-UD4 and Crucial M4

The Marvell 912x controllers are limited to about 380mb/sec sequential speeds

I'm not sure what your current SSD is cabable of, but faster SSD's, even if you can't use all of the sequential speed generally simply faster small file random read/writes which you can use and are generlaly considered the more important stat for general WIndows usage.  The Intel sata 2 controller is generally better at these small file reads than the Marvell 912x.  I have seen good scores from the Marvell chip, but not many!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?