Please assist re formatting new M500 via USB Windows 7

Kilobyte Kid

Please assist re formatting new M500 via USB Windows 7

I've done a search of the forum and tried Google but can't find a simple step-by-step, I do hope someone can guide me.

I have a new M500 on which I intend to clone an existing HDD installed in an Alienware M11x-R1 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  I need to format it so that it will be recognised.  So far, I've got it in a caddy attached to a different laptop (because it's faster, it's the same OS) via USB 3.0. 

Have gone into Administrative Tools>Disk Management and selected MBR, OK, and got a stripy panel with 447.13 MB Unallocated in it.  But I can't see where to go next, the Action menu doesn't have anything about formatting in it, so I'm stuck.  I wondered whether to select Refresh, but... Smiley Sad

I could install EaseUS partition manager if that would be the way to go, but am nervous of ruining my new drive.

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Please assist re formatting new M500 via USB Windows 7

You would need to partition the drive before you could format it.  However, you shouldn't need to, and probably don't want to, do this.  Your cloning software should should set the drive up for you from an unintialised state.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Please assist re formatting new M500 via USB Windows 7

Right clicking on the stripey panel will bring up a context menu with several options.