Question on Garbage Collection on M4 RAID 0

Kilobyte Kid

Question on Garbage Collection on M4 RAID 0

I have just upgraded my Windows 7 Dell to 2 x M4 512GB in RAID 0. Amazingly without any problems I might add! Smiley Very Happy Just wondered if anyone can help with a few simple (hopefully) questions.

I know the TRIM command isn't available in RAID and had heard that the SSDs do their own gardbage collection when not in idle. Can someone confirm this and exactly what needs to happen for this to take place. Do you just log out and leave the PC on for a few hours?

Also, is there any tools that can find out the health of a SSD in a RAID setup. I know the drivers get in the way and I probably shouldn't worry about it anyway!

Although I'm not too concerned about benchmarks, I did wonder why my 4K reads where so poor compared to most other results I've seen. I get 144MBs on writes but only 13MBs on reads? Is there anything which might be causing this?

Thanks

Mark

18 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Question on Garbage Collection on M4 RAID 0

Post up an AS SSD screenshot please to show the 4k's.

You don't have to do anything for GC, it's automatic when the drive (rather than the OS) is idle.

If you mean health as in wear, yeah don't worry about it. Mine is still estimating over 50 years and is on 16 hours a day.  CrystalDiskInfo is the tool to use - dunno if it works in raid.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks. I'll try not to worry about the wear and tear! That's reassuring that yours is so healthy.

Unfortunately, CrystalDiskInfo didn't work on it. I tried a few and none liked RAIDs but hey I'm already less stressed about it.

Here's the screenshot of the benchmark:

Mark

JEDEC Jedi

It's just sunk in that that is a terrabyte of SSD storage! Nice. Smiley Very Happy

Not sure about the 4k's   I assume it's a desktop? Power saving features of laptops often cause low 4k's.  You could check in the bios and make sure things like speedstepping, c1e and eist and such like are disabled.

Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

To see the SMART data on a RAID-0 I use a program called System Information Viewer (the link http://rh-software.com/ has info and download [edit - this is freeware]).  Press VOLUMES -> SMART -> the SATA button to the right of the desired drive.  Somewhere I saw one other program able to show SMART on a RAID  (this is Windows XP Pro SP3), but Crystal certainly does not even see the drive.

Kilobyte Kid

You can also use hwinfo64 to see the wear levelling under drives under RAID 0.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks. Yes, 1TB is a nice luxury Smiley Happy Generally improves performace but I really need it for my VPCs which are very large, varying between 30GB and 150GB.

Not too sure if my Dell (Studio XPS 8100 desktop) has those BIOS options but I'll sure check them out.

Thanks for the system info tools guys. Both do the job nicely Smiley Very Happy

JEDEC Jedi

It won't have many of them!  I have an XPS420.  I do have the option for speedstepping but when I overclock, the option to disable it is ignored and stays on anyway.  In any case, it doesn't affect the performance for me.  And none of the other options exist.

I've only got 1 VM myself (Ubuntu for compiling Android) and not enough space for on my SSD for it unfortunately but I have a friend who is big into VM's that sure does like them on SSD's Smiley Very Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I used to have a room full of PCs for my work but now I just have a disk full of VPCs! How times have changed.

I've got the SpeedStep and C-State cpu options. I've played around with them and get mixed results. I'll post them later.

One thing I found confusing is that I thought by disabling SpeedStep it would disable TurboBoost, at least according to some web sites, but according to the Intel TurboBoost monitor it doesn't. Anyhow either way it didn't make a dramatic difference to SSD performance.

I'm quite happy with the results I've got so far which are pretty much what I hoped for although this 4K test confuses me. I'm amazed I didn't have any major problems so I won't push my luck Smiley Very Happy

The only other thing I was thinking of at some stage was using a SATA III controller card but so far haven't heard very good feedback on them...

JEDEC Jedi

Yeah, avoid the cards.  The consumer sata 3 cards can't handle a single m4, never mind raided ones.  AN upgrade to an Intel 6 series board would probably be worth considering.

Have a look at this, reads of almost 1gb/s: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/New-ssd-benchmark/m-p/68497#M21092

Want to be a Super User?