SSD question

cmp
Kilobyte Kid

SSD question

I was thinking of upgrade  my old hardrive to my new ssd but i not sure what be good ssd drive to get i mean  like 256gb be good for clone my drive or would i need more space?

i got a macbook pro 2012 MacbookPro9,2

Or is there any other way to this thisSmiley Happy

I hope someone can help meSmiley Happy

Tags (2)
7 Replies
Highlighted
Dual Channel Surfer

Re: SSD question

Perhaps I should first mention that according to forum rules we shouldn't discuss other makes of SSDs here. If you want unbiased advice, if would be best to go to one of the large apple discussion forums such as  the official Apple discussion forums or Macrumors.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Macrumors have a long SSD Buying guide thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1177020

You might want to start reading towards the end of the thread for more up to date advice.

Regarding size of drive, I'm running a Crucial M500 240GB in a late 2011 Macbook Pro and might upgrade to something in the 500GB size range, which seems to be good value right now. Actual size you need depends on size of iTunes Library, are you running any VMs and things like that,

SODIMM Sherpa

cmp
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for tell me not to buy ssd drive from you!

How rude!

JEDEC Jedi

@cmp wrote:

Thanks for tell me not to buy ssd drive from you!

How rude!

This is a peer to peer forum.  The opinions you have recieved are from other users.  Crucial have not expressed an opinion as to what drive you buy.

If you tell Crucial your model, they'll recommend upgrades for you: http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/advisor

Note, I am also not an employee of Crucial. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
cmp
Kilobyte Kid

MacbookPro9,2

How much space would i need if i clone 500gb hardrive?

JEDEC Jedi

I'm not sure anyone but you could answer that to be honest.  How much space are you using now and how much do you anticipate using in the future?  Can the machine only take one drive or more than one?  If you have two drive bays you can get away with a smaller SSD and keep the rest on the HDD.  If it'll be your only drive then it needs to be big enough to hold everything you;d ever want on there.

My laptop has a 64GB ssd - but it's not my primary machine so it doesn't have much installed on it.  My primary machine, my desktop, has 2TB used across its 3 drives so no single SSD would be big enough!

Want to be a Super User?
Crucial Employee

Hi cmp,

First of all thanks for picking Crucial for your upgrade.

We would be more than happy to recommend an SSD for you.  We have SSD’s that are guaranteed to be compatible with MacBook Pro systems.

You said in your comments that you want to clone a 500GB hard drive.  How much data is actually on your existing hard drive?  This will allow us to recommend the correct size for your system.  All our current range of SSD’s would work in your MacBook Pro model.  

We currently provide three different SSD solutions.  We have the MX200, MX100 and the BX100 models.  There are some differences in price and performance from the drives.  We have a great chart on the Crucial website that shows you the difference between the drives.  You can see that chart here:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-comparison

When using the forum only people with Administrator, Moderator or Community Manager on their username works for Crucial.  I am sorry if there was any confusion over this and I have the customer service direct contact details in my signature.

If you can confirm the amount of data you currently use and the processor and screen size of your MacBook Pro then I can send you direct links to the SSD’s listed against that model.  If you do have any other questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Want to be a Super User?