Secure erase a M4 SSD ?

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Secure erase a M4 SSD ?

p.s my drive is the C300 rev0001 256gb . unable to flash the drive either as the boot disk freezes at init.

Kilobyte Kid

Unfortunatly you are experiencing a bug with your SATA controller. You could check your bios is up to date, make sure your bios is set to AHCI and if they fail use another computer to flash your drive. If you post your full system spec I will look into this further.

Kilobyte Kid

PS: Heres a newer version of the script that uses sh rather than bash for compatability.

#!/bin/sh
# Secure erase script by drgr33n

# List drives
list_drives() 
{
	echo "*******************************"
	echo
	fdisk -l | grep Disk | grep /dev
	echo "*******************************"
	echo
	echo "Please type the name of the disk you want to SE followed by ENTER. Eg; /dev/sda"
	read hdd
}

# Exit function
quit()
{
	echo "You can rerun this script by typing secure_erase"
	echo
	echo "bye bye"
	exit
}

# Drive status cheker
check_drive() 
{
	if [ '$(hdparm -I $hdd | grep frozen | awk "{ print $1 }")' = 'not' ]; then
		echo "not frozen, contunue"
	else
		echo "Drive frozen or data cannot be read. Please check your HDD and cables and status of your drive."
		quit
	fi
}

# Secure erase
secure_erase() 
{
	echo "Atempting to SE $hdd"
	hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass PASSWORD $hdd
	echo "Checking if password was set ...."
	if [ '$(hdparm -I $hdd | awk "/Security:/{n=NR+3} NR==n" | awk "{ print $1 }")' = 'not' ]; then
		echo "Password was not set. Bailing out :("
		quit
	else
		echo "Ok seems to be set, Now lets SE the drive ..."
		hdparm --user-master u --security-erase-enhanced PASSWORD $hdd
		echo "Lets check if the drive was erased ..."
		if [ '$(hdparm -I $hdd | awk "/Security:/{n=NR+3} NR==n" | awk "{ print $1 }")' = 'not' ]; then
			echo "tset completed sucsessfully, you can now reboot. "
			quit
		else
			echo "Drive may not have been erased correctly. Please check and if not try again."
			quit
		fi
	fi
}

list_drives
check_drive
echo "Please type ACCEPT then ENTER to acknowledge that I do not accept any responsability for wrecked drives. It's on you buddy ...."
read accept
if [ $accept = "ACCEPT" ]; then
	secure_erase
else
	quit
fi
Silicon Sultan

drgr33n wrote:
Trouble is you will still more than likley need to use an external sata with that method as the bios blocks the SE op code being sent to the drive using the internal SATA ports. Crucial could change it to something else and release a small tool that sends the command and recieves a response.

you can sleep the system while in parted, then wake. the ssd should then be 'unfroze'.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the info. Much safer than hotplugging Smiley Very Happy Maybe I can do something with this script later.

Bit Baby

Any update on this?

I have a Cruical M4 SSD that I'm selling and I want to secure erase it, so there is non of my data left on it.

I have a Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook.

JEDEC Jedi

Please take a look here. Then you can use HxD (Freeware Hex Editor and Disk Editor) in order to breifly verify if there are zeros over the entire area of the disk.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

drgr33n wrote: In the end I had to find a ESATA enabled caddy and I was able to set a password and SE my drive.
Hi there drgr33n, I'm having the same problem trying to remove the HDD User password of my 64GB SSD. Not even with an eSATA caddy was I able to issue the erase command. Is there any other suggestion? I don't care about the data, just trying to use the drive on a different system. It was previously inside an LG Blu_Ray which set the password in the first place several months ago.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

FYI, txbench ( http://www.texim.jp/txbenchus.html ) will allow you to secure erase in Windows 8 if you connect your SATA drive via USB using a bridge chip that supports the SCSI ATA Passthrough command (most USB 3.0 bridges I've tested work). It'll work in Windows 7 if you have a hot pluggable port (eSATA or a HDD caddy bay, such as a thinkpad ultrabay caddy).