Swapping MX100 into Thinkpad Yoga: 2100 Detection error on HDD0

Kilobyte Kid

Swapping MX100 into Thinkpad Yoga: 2100 Detection error on HDD0

I am attempting to swap an MX100 SSD in place of the stock 512GB momentus in a Thinkpad Yoga.  I used an external enclosure to format the MX100 and then swapped it in.  Everything fits correctly (space meant for a 7mm 2.5") but the laptop constanly puts out a 2100: Detection error on HDD0.  The boot takes longer than usual so the hard drive is being detected, it just puts out an error.  I tried changing every bios setting.  I tried removing the 16 GB mSATA secondary drive, same problem.  BIOS is updated to latest version.  Is there a compatability issue with the Lenovo BIOS and SSD drives?  I should also note I tried a Patriot Torch before the MX100, same problem.

5 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Swapping MX100 into Thinkpad Yoga: 2100 Detection error on HDD0

Hi igolberg,

I am sorry for the issues that you have been experiencing with your SSD. At this point I would recommend contacting us directly, so that we may help you troubleshoot. Our information can be found in my signature. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?

Want to enter our contest for December? More info can be found here.
Kilobyte Kid

I received exactly the same error with a Lenovo Thinkpad T440S, with Windows 8.1 64.

I am using the Crucial MX100 256GB as drive D: (I have a Transcend M.2 SSD as drive C:, which has shown no problems) While I was using the computer, Drive D: suddenly disappeared! I was able to save the files that I was working on to drive C:. I rebooted and received the "2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)" error. I rebooted a few more times and received the same error. I then powered off the machine, and powered it back on, and the drive was properly detected again.

Lenovo describes this problem occuring with both Samsung and Intel SSDs, and offers firmware updates to fix the problem with both of thiese:

Samsung: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht082504

Intel: http://support.lenovo.com/my/ms/documents/ht076644

There is no firmware update for the MX100 to fix this problem however. Should I return the MX100 that I purchased, or wait for a future firmware update to fix the issue? Without a firmware update it would seem that the MX100 is not compatible with the Lenovo T440S and possibly other Lenovo machines.

Kilobyte Kid

I did some more reading around, and it seems that some SSDs have problems with Win8's power management settings. I have tried tweaking my Power Options, setting the following. Hopefully this will help, and hopefully it won't impact the power usage too much, an idle SSD shouldn't draw too much power should it?

• Power Options->Advanced Settings->Hard Disk->Turn off hard disk after->On battery->Never
  • Power Options->Advanced Settings->Hard Disk->Turn off hard disk after->Plugged in->Never
  • Power Options->Advanced Settings->PCI Express->Link State Power Management->On battery->Off
  • Power Options->Advanced Settings->PCI Express->Link State Power Management->Plugged in->Off

I emailed Crucial Support and got the following confusing response- he seemed to think the MX100 is an M.2 drive!? He also seemed to think that Lenovo produce firmware updates for Intel and Samsung SSDs- surely they just distribute them!?

Those Lenovo laptops only came with Intel and Samsung SSD installed by the manufacture, and they only apply to the unique drives sold through channel to distributors like Lenovo; so unfortunately it looks like Lenovo will not go out of the way to produce a firmware fix for other 3rd party SSDs in that system like our drives. From past experience it sounds like the problem might have to do with a Load Protection Module setting which causes M.2 drives lock up, so I provided a link below to a registry fix that a customer has found to work around this problem; I am not exactly sure if this is what is causing your issue, and we unfortunately can not assist in the registry edit, but you are more than willing to try it out yourself. If the registry edit is something you are not comfortable with, or it does not resolve your issue, I would simply return our drive for a refund and get a brand that hopefully will not exhibit the problem.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/GA-Z97X-UD5H-amp-Crucial-512G-M-2-SSD-DRIVE/m-p/158645/high...

If you have further questions, please visit the Crucial Community athttp://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support.  For sales questions, try our online chat service athttp://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-contact. Our hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Mountain Time).  At Crucial, we are committed to providing high-quality products and reliable service and support.

BENJAMIN LZICAR
Technical Support Representative
Tel: (800) 336-8896 (US & Canada only)
Tel: (208) 363-5790
Fax: (208) 363-5501
mailto:crucial.support@micron.com

Kilobyte Kid

We have seen this on several of our Lenovo X220 thinkpads too and the MX100 256GB SSD drive.

We have tickets in with Crucial support but so far it's not looking too good;our hardware vendor has so far offered to replace our MX100 drives w/this issue with the MX200 series.  

And of course, Lenovo will not do a thing to help us since they don't use Crucial drives in their models.  Subscribing to this thread in case there are any breakthoughs.

[Edited per Guidelines: Be relevant.]

Kilobyte Kid

I haven't had any problems with Crucial SSD in the T440S since disabling the power management settings as I described above. Still very glad that it isn't my boot drive though.