Two Different M500 960GB Will Not Format

SOLVED
Binary Boss

Two Different M500 960GB Will Not Format

I am trying to install two M500 960GB SSD's then after I run the "New Simple Volume Wizard" and it starts to format the drive the blue wheel just keeps spinning for 5 to 7 minutes and then I get an error message "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date.  Refresh......"  See the attached screen shot for the whole error message.  

I try to install the drives one at a time with only one plugged in when I turn on the PC.  I have tried to use the wizard on each drive give times and I also have gotten two BSOD's while the wizard was trying to format.  Both BSOD's were code 4a.

Did I get two bad drives?  If not then what am I suppose to do so the wizard will complete and create the simple volume and the volume label I want to name each drive?  I am using the default NTFS for a file system and default for the allocation unit size.

If it matters when I plug one in and turn the PC on I do not get a new hardware found message.  The drive will show up in device manager and the drive is an old MS driver dated 06/21/2006.

M500 Error.jpg

17 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Two Different M500 960GB Will Not Format

Are you planning to use them as data disks?  If not you don't need to touch disk management.

The Windows setup or cloning software will handle partitioning them.

I'm not sure why it's not working in disk management. If you're running Windows 7 do you have SP1?  The drives are 'advanced format' and need SP1.

Binary Boss

I have Win7 SP1 and Windows is completely updated.

What do yo mean when you say Windows Setup or Cloning software?  There was not a CD included with the disks.

I also do not know what you mean by "data disks" I want to use them to store a bunch of photo scenery files that Microsoft Flight Simulator X would access.

I can not get the SSD's to format so Windows will let me copy files to them.  Also I want each drive to be one partition, I do not want multiple partitions on each drive.

JEDEC Jedi

Most people use SSD's for system disks (Windows and apps) rather than data (scenery for flight sim counts as data &colonSmiley Wink )  So yeah you would need to manually parition them as your attempting to do.  I'm not sure why Disk Management wouldn't succeed.

Have you tried using third party partitioning software? I use http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Binary Boss

I will give the Mini Tool Partition Wizard a try.

Binary Boss

MTPW will format the drive, but when you shut the PC off you get a BSOD.

I tried using diskpart to convert the drive to convert the drive to GPT, back to MBR and create a partition, all that worked, but when I told diskpart to format the disk as ntsf the PC BSOD'ed.

Any other ideas?

Binary Boss

The DVD that came with the Asus Maximus VI Extreme installed Intel RST
drivers 12.0.0.1082.  These drivers cause problems when trying to format the
M500 as described in my first post.

I then uninstalled drives 12.0.0.1082 and installed Intel RST drivers
12.7.0.1036, I downloaded these from the Asus website.  These drivers also
caused the same problems when formatting.

I then uninstalled drivers 12.7.0.1036 and Windows 7 installed Intel RST
drivers 9.4.0.1017.

Drivers 9.4.0.1017 work.

There is another person with and M500 and an Asus motherboard that had the same
problem I did.  He is the one who found the solution.  You can read his comments on the thread at Overclock.Net
http://www.overclock.net/t/1416026/can-not-format-two-m500-960gb-ssds-help#post_20555187

I am surprised that more people are not reporting problems.

If you have any contacts within Crucial Tech Support please discuss this issue with them.  I did submit an email support ticket to Crucial and they were not any help in resolving the issue, but this morning I did email them with the solution.

I am also going to submit a support ticket to Asus so they are aware of this issue.  I really am suprised that it is not more wide spread.  It may only happen when you do not install an OS to the drive.

Somehow this need to be addressed by Intel, Crucial and Asus because right now we can not update our Intel RST drivers.

JEDEC Jedi

Intels drivers are troublesome for certain configs.

One of the versions (10 I think) wouldn't allow my PC to boot whilst my precise model of DVD drive was connected.

Versions 11.5 to 12 cause my PC to occasionally hang on resume form sleep under Windows 7 but not Windows 8 with the exact same hardware.

As you can see, their driver issues are very specific which will be why so few people have issues.  I use 11.2 which is rock solid on my system.

As far as I know, you need v9.6 or newer of the Intel drivers for Trim to work so 9.4 probably won't cut it.  So I would try newer ones.  if none of the newer ones work or you especially want 12.7 then you can try contacting Intel support about it.  They're very good and had me running some diagnostic program to send them logs of of my DVD drive issue and they did fix the problem in a future version.

Binary Boss

Thanks for the information.

How do I get to the achived drivers?

Every link I find through a google search give me 11.X and up.

JEDEC Jedi