Update Firmware on M4 SSD on Macbook Pro without optical disc?

Bit Baby

Re: Update Firmware on M4 SSD on Macbook Pro without optical disc?

Crucial_Junket,

I've successfully followed all your instructions and did get to Step 13, however, when I do choose the "Boot legacy OS SYSLINUX' option, my computer simply goes into BootCamp and loads up Windows 7 Ultimate (which I have installed as my BootCamp drive). I can't seem to find any way around this and might need further help from you. 

Thanks

Bit Baby

I get an error in step 6. It won't let me.

This was the same issue last time there was a firmware update. All communication about these issues are made as if your users were Windows users or had the possibility to put the drive onto a Windows computer. 

I am a Mac user and I can't be bothered buing products from a company that can't communicate with its users. Please make something that can be downloaded and used on a Mac. And be aware that many Mac users does not have an internal CD drive (as they most likely replaced it with a Cricial SSD drive)

Bit Baby

It is as easy as this:

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE FROM AN EXTERNAL CD DRIVE. YOU NEED TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE USING A CD IN THE INTERNAL DRIVE. 

As easy as that. I just installed my CD-drive and updated. 

Apart from that simple statement, you should make it very clear how to make the CD:

To upgrade the SSD firmware on a Mac, first download the relevant firmware version here: 

http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/firmware.aspx 

Unzip the ISO, then insert a blank disk and start Disk Utility. 

From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned. In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it. 

Click the Burn button and follow the instructions. You can now use your bootable CD/DVD on your Mac by selecting it in System Preferences -> Start up disk.

AND as CD is not exactly the preferred medium any longer, you should make a similar CLEAR AND EASY explanation on how to make a bootable USB STICK

And BOTH should  be ILLUSTRATED as it is not clear if it is the .iso file or the CD image one should burn (and it is the .iso when in Disk Utilities)

- - -

For the record, I'm not buying your products anymore. This is the second update to keep the SSD from freezing. This time the error resulted that the SDD freeze VERY HOUR (as stated somewhere in your support pages): This results that a SSD cant be indexed and CAN NOT BE BACKED UP as there is only an one hour window to do so.

Further, you should maintain a mailing list of customers so you could alert them that there is an issue and what the solution is.

I wouldn't mind buying and get mailed a USB stick and pay whatever for it, if it would solve the problem. I didn't buy your product in the first place to save money, but to save time.

http://www.overgaard.dk

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

The point of this thread is to make it known to Crucial that there are Mac users in the world who have installed Crucial's SSD drives who DO NOT HAVE an internal CD drive.

Apparently the previous poster/member is not aware that the Macbook AIR ships with an SSD drive and does not include a secondary bay... and therefore NO CD DRIVE.

If Crucual is unable to support those users who have replaced their stock SSD drives with a Crucuial SSD, then they need to!

Bit Baby

this is VERY important! when do youintend to find a solution for this Crucial?

Kilobyte Kid

Any update?  There needs to be an ISO that is bootable via OSX.

Kilobyte Kid

I have replaced my optical drive with the former main HDD and now I get hourly beachballing. I can't update the firmware even using my Boot Camp partition and the standard Windows Updater method...

Big issues here.

Bit Baby

I apologize for the bump, but I find it very important that Crucial finally pays some attention to the fact that there are Mac-users out there who are waiting till an official upgrade methode is being released to update the firmware of their SSD's without having an internal optical bay installed.

Here are some suggestion:

* bootable USB pendrive

* OS X-compatible setup-wizard (such an option is already available for Windows-users!)

Please Crucial, look into this cause there are more and more Mac's out there without internal optical drives.

Kilobyte Kid

Yeah - this is an ongoing and major issue here.

Bit Baby

I have the same issue:

"No bootable device -- Insert Boot Disk and Press any key"

I am using an early 2011 Macbook Pro with no optical disc drive. I am running Mountain Lion. No Microsoft Windows installed.