Update Firmware on M4 SSD on Macbook Pro without optical disc?

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Update Firmware on M4 SSD on Macbook Pro without optical disc?

Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor*** I really didn't think it would be this difficult to update firmware without an optical drive. 

Edit: I guess I should have ordered the Crucial Competitor SSD.

Kilobyte Kid

Has anyone had any better luck contacting Crucial directly? 

This is starting to feel like a situation where Mac users should have their drives replaced with factory-fresh and firmware updated drives. 

Atrocious.

Bit Baby

Hi everyone, 

So sorry to make my first post bumping an old thread but it seems that there is no solution available. I too have a Macbook Pro with no super drive available. I removed my drive to make room for a second internal SATA drive and over time there was an accident and my external superdrive fell and broke. I bought a replacement drive and that arrived broken. So needless to say. I have no way to burn optical media.

I have been trying over and over and over to make a bootable USB flash drive with the firmware but it seems to be impossible on my computer. I understand how to use Terminal but I seem to be missing a step somewhere. At the point where I am supposed to copy the contents of the rEFIt DMG onto my flashdrive I get a "Permission Denied" error. The flashdrive is readable and writeable so I'm not quite sure what would cause a permission error. 

My M4 256GB drive is running fine, but I would like to update to the latest firmware as I am on 000F. I also recently ordered a 512GB M4 to replace my secondary internal HDD, and I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone for the M5 Pro Xtreme from Plextor?

Are there any solutions to getting a working USB flashdrive? I have tried multiple USB drives and none of them will let me create the ISO image.

Kilobyte Kid

Any solutions to this?

At this point it's been about 6 months of closing my computer to put it to sleep after about 58 minutes so I don't beachball. 

Pretty absurd.

Bit Baby

They still haven't fixed this?

Bit Baby

I have the same assinine issue. I installed the ssd in the optical bay. I have an external cd drive. I can burn the iso firmware update to the cd, and boot, but it is a windows boot and does NOTHING for me. just spinning apple. HOw the **bleep** can I update this firmware please so I don't crash hourly??! ON a MAC, no PC involved, with no internal CD?

If crucial cannot support us we need to spread te word that this is NOT a compatible SSD with MACs. 

Kilobyte Kid

I registered just to come here and say that this is still an issue -- created the bootable Flash drive, and got the same "no bootable device" message. As others have stated, it's not very helpful for the firmware update software to require an optical drive or a Mac when most users will have taken out their optical drive when they replaced it with this drive.

I'm a Mac guy, an IT admin by trade, and a long-time crucial customer; I've sent countless users your way when they ask for advice about where to get RAM. Sadly, the fact that this failed attempt at a firmware upgrade has chewed up a couple hours of my weekend is going to change that. It's disingenuous to advertise your SSDs as "Guaranteed Compatible" with Macs when extraordinary gymnastics are required to perform firmware upgrades. 

Please fix this.

Bit Baby

I have exactly the same problem. For me an update of the firmware would be very important because I am getting system freezes that last for several seconds about every half an hour and that is pretty annoying!

I guess there is no solution other than waiting until crucial fixes the problem with the firmware update, right?

@crucial: Please fix this issue! Mac users also did pay for their drives, right?

Kilobyte Kid

Had this same problem.  Even with a Windows partition, trying the updater app just boots to a blinking cursor.  Booting from usb doesn't recognize the drive and booting from a burned disk just boots me to the windows partition.

I ended up having to pull the drive and put it into my wife's hp laptop to successfully run  the firmware update.  I'm glad that   worked, but jeeze, what a pain.  So far as I can tell, putting the drive into a pc and running the update that way is the only thing that works. 

Kilobyte Kid

I also registered here to report the same problem.  Hourly beachballs, no optical drive.  Ugh.