Updating firmware on Macs without a superdrive

ABI
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Updating firmware on Macs without a superdrive

Months ago, I removed the balky superdrive that I never used in my MacBook, and replaced it with a second SSD. Which was brilliant until my M4 got the 5,000-hour bug and the computer started to freeze every hour. Then I had no optical drive with which to install the firmware update. 

In the end, the only choice for me was to use the Windows box in my office at work.

- I took the M4 out of my Macbook.

- On the Windows box, I downloaded the firmware and burned it onto a CD-R, then shut it down.

- I opened up the Windows box, disconnected the hard drive and connected the M4 in its place.

- Upon starting up the Windows box, immediately went into the startup settings (F12 in my case) and selected the CD drive as the boot drive.

- After that, the firmware update worked just fine.

I was lucky to have access to a Windows computer I could open up. If you're in my situation (no superdrive) but don't have that, then you're pretty much stuck finding/ordering a superdrive and reinstalling it (which means undoing a lot of screws in your mac) just for this one firmware update. 

Which really sucks. I hope Crucial hurries up with that promised USB solution, though it's too late for me.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Ok...we are now several months since Crucial promised a USB solution.  Has anyone figured out a way to do this without having to remove the drive and move it to another computer?  

Kilobyte Kid

Another release, and no response from Crucial.....anyone get this working? 

Kilobyte Kid

I called crucial, they try to help me with all this tutorial... Didn't work out, I told them I need them to help me step by step ( I had problems @#6) but they refuse, they send me to Apple or to a technician, really Crucial? I can get a brand new ssd insted of paying a techincian...

Anyway my story has a happy ending after many hours of trying and research online... I took the hard drive out of my mac mini 2011, I used CCC to clone it 1st, then I clone again windowsnon my ssd, I nstalled on my laptop pc and run the application witch was the easyiest... 

Now I'm cloning back the data back on my ssd and I'm good to go Smiley Happy

Bit Baby

hi all,

i also tried the firmware upgrade with an usb stick on my mac book pro 2010 because i do not have any cds....

following error on step 6: after typing what you wrote i get the mistake "permission denied".

whats wrong?

Kilobyte Kid

Finally managed to update my firmware (come on Crucial - sort out a supported USB option!) so posting this in the hope it will help others.

Booting with syslinux and refit on an external drive gave me a "Not Found from LocateDevicePath" error and I also couldn't get refit to work from my internal HDD (spindle, not the SSD) but eventually found that a combination of both did work.

With refit on a USB stick and syslinux with the firmware update on a partition on my HDD I could boot, choose refit and then select syslinux and update the firmware.

Sounds simple enough now but took me ages to figure out!

The individual parts have been pretty well documented in this thread and here so I won't go through it again, but having the two parts separately was the magic step for me.

p.s. if you get a permission error in step 6 then run the command as a super user:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=/dev/disk1 b<delete this>s=1m

it wil ask for your password (you won't see it when you type it in - just do, press enter and wait for it to complete)

Kilobyte Kid

I read ambientfox's soluntion, got spooked by the complexity of it... put the question to Crucial's support. Got the following answer today:

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your email.  In order to get the firmware on the SSD to update you need to have both the drive and the optical bay connected internally.  I can recommend trying a different system to see if that works.  I have had great success with MAC users connecting their drives to another system and running the firmware update process.

The process would like this.  Insert the Firmware update CD into the internal optical bay of a computer system, power off, connect your SSD internally to a different system, power on and boot to the CD, run the updater, shut the system down, remove the drive and then reinstall it to your 2008 MacBook.

I hope that helps.

If you have further questions, please visit the Crucial Community athttp://www.crucial.com/help.  For sales questions, try our online chat service athttp://www.crucial.com/company/contacts.aspx. Our hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Mountain Time).  At Crucial, we are committed to providing high-quality products and reliable service and support.

*Edit to remove personal information*

Unfortunately, this solution seems best left to enthusiasts--especially the time-consuming bit about installing the SSD internally to a different system.

Bit Baby

This worked perfectly for me on my 2011 Mac Mini.

I had to convert the firmware .iso file to a .dmg file using the disk utility.

I did everything else exactly as per the instructions.

Thanks!

Kilobyte Kid

Just a quick follow-up to my earlier post..

I took some time out today to swap my macbook's M4 into a Windows laptop and do the firmware update. It took a google search to learn how to make Windows 7 machine burn a bootable ISO image to a CD. Here's a step-by-step.

Also, note on Crucial's firmware update page, make sure to download the Manual Boot FileCrucial.com Product Downloads - Firmware Updates.jpg

Booted the Windows machine into the burned CD with my Mac's M4 installed in the internal HD bay and everything went fine. I updated from ver. 0309 to 040H.

--Marc

Kilobyte Kid

thanks for this guide

at step 6, I get :

dd if=/dev/disk6 of=/dev/disk5 bs=1m
dd: /dev/disk5: Permission denied

with the command:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=/dev/disk1 b<delete this>s=1m

i get :

dd: /dev/disk1: Resource busy

is this normal?