Very weird behavior of M4 512GB drive

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Very weird behavior of M4 512GB drive

I have the M4 in an Asus G73JH laptop and was wondering if there was anything, like what you did to your desktop computer, to try to fix the power issues with the M4 in laptops?  Thanks.

Kilobyte Kid

That's a good question.  Power distribution in a laptop is a lot different than from a PSU in an ordinary desktop case.  Plus, I'd expect that the power supplies in laptops are superior to generic desktop supplies.  That said, there's always the possibility of poor layout or other factors.

The solid polymer caps I was talking about are fairly small.  But then, the space in a typical laptop is at a premium too.  A 1000/6.3 solid polymer (the only type I'd recommend for this) is under 10mm in each dimension.  You'd need to find a place to stash it, and then locate the GND and +5VDC lines to the SATA plug.  I wouldn't recommend this unless you already have the skill and equipment (e.g. a temperature-controlled soldering iron with a ~1.5mm tip) to perform electronic rework. 

You can buy the caps at any of the usual online electronics distributors:  Mouser, Digikey, Newark, Allied...  it's a long list.  Take your pick.  They're about $0.60 ea, more or less.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

I would definitely need to seek professional help if I was going to try what you suggested, but I was curious.  Thanks.