crucial m4 64GB to raid or not to raid?

Kilobyte Kid

crucial m4 64GB to raid or not to raid?

Hi, 

I recently purchase two crucial m4 64gb ssd's.

I know once I raid 0 these drives I will lose trim support. I was wondering, if trim is that big of a deal or should I just use only one m4 ssd on my computer and throw the other on my laptop? I also know that the ssd does have garbage collection, will garbage collection still work in raid mode?

Also, I have an iso of partmagic. If for any reason in the future I notcie a performance decrease can I use this software to wipe the hard drive clean in order to bring it back to its factory state?

Thanks,

androo

7 Replies
Silicon Sultan

Re: crucial m4 64GB to raid or not to raid?

i would raid the 64s, unless you would like your laptop to have a drive also. the GC on the drives works super in raid.

unkie other manufacturers drives, the crucial drives do not degrade to the point you need to erase them, but you would want to have the parted magic for when you may want to reinstall to/redo the array stripe to the ssds (i just did this this afternoon, as i was testing different stripe sizes. 64k stripe seems to be a sweet spot).

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

May we have the details of your testing?  (My two 64G M4s are on the way.)

Silicon Sultan

smaller than the 64k stifled sequentials, and over the 64k would increase the sequentials, but smaller file transfers would result in diminishing returns, at least on the 4x array (c300) i'm running

Kilobyte Kid

M0fus thank you for replying = )

I completely forgot about GC. I built quite a few system  using two c300s in R0 in the past and I haven't gotten a single complaint from anyone of my friends or family. They're all holding up very well too.

At the momment I decided to test how fast a single m4 64gb ssd feels like on my new system. So far it seems to be decent. i'm not totally impress yet but then again I'm running into some issues with my read speeds on SataIII.

Kilobyte Kid

here's my test w/ 2 64GB m4 raid 0

Kilobyte Kid

I figure I bump this and ask how you're going with no trim?

I'm looking at doing RAID0 with my 256GB and just want to make sure I can keep avoiding Secure Erase etc (having a working SSD makes you lazy!).

Would the stripe size of 64 still apply for this size or I should check it myself using something like AS-SSD?

DIMMented

GC is all you need to maintain performance guys. I would have zero concerns about having to continually use some program to bring back performance, not needed. R0 those drives and run them like you stole them. Smiley Happy

RIVE X79 with 3960x
3 x EVGA 580 HC2
16 GB Gskills 2133
2 x Plextor M3P 128 gb
2 x M4 128 GB in R0
1 x M4 128GB storage
Thermaltake 1200W PSU x 2